The VFR has left me stranded...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by bikehikeflyCO, Aug 22, 2015.

1. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Even after replacing the R/R with an aftermarket one (albeit not a Rick's), and even after riding 1600 miles in 8 days leaving me 1,000 miles from home, it decided to die in the middle of the trip leaving me stranded in Cody, Wyoming. This shouldn't happen, at all. I loved and enjoyed my bike for the last 10 months and 11,000 miles that I put on it, but this is unexcauseable. When I get back, the R/R will be replaced with a Rick's and the stator checked for damage and then the bike will be listed for sale and a differnet one will be purchased.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I hate to come off like a jerk but it would appear to me you are blaming the bike for your half ass repair. Given the issues known and the age of the bike a new updated stator/rotor assembly with R/R of acceptable quality was in order, especially if you traveling oot and aboot the country like that. Let the hate begin.

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm.

The VFR charging system problems, fault finding and fixes are extensively covered on this forum in the following thread (along with numerous others).

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39277-How-to-fix-common-regulator-Stator-failures

Before you jump ship you may wish to note that pretty much the same "bought in" electricals and the same problems were fitted to many other Honda models and indeed basically similar charging systems were fitted to other makes. So switching to another brand may still leave you with pretty much the same problem down the line..

You may want to check out posts on the Fireblade forum and the SV owners, Gixers, Vstroms forums to name but a few.

If you have indeed been enjoying the ride with your VFR, you may be better off doing the drill (TWICE - once with the bike cold and then again hot!) as per post #9 on the above thread. Then after replacing any defects identified, take time to remove the useless connector on the yellow wires from stator to RR and simply soldering and heat shrink protecting the joint, and install a cheap eBay volt meter so you can keep an eye on things for peace of mind.

Then put fuel in the bike and ride it like you stole it.

The bits which Honda actually made on your VFR are top quality - sadly let down by a useless bought in - made to a budget - charging system. PS You may want to read post #34 (among others) on the above thread before buying a replacement RR or stator.

Just my 2p

SkiMad

4. rjgti

rjgti New Member

I will offer 500 for the vfr as is:potstir:

5. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll bid $501, Bob.

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Just get an 8th gen! You'll love it. I have over 10,000 miles on mine in the first year, with no problems at all.

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Hi, representative for all major Japanese motorcycle brands speaking. We all use the same exact style charging system in ALL our bikes. Have a nice day.

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I agree , you are to blame not the bike. that bike is 15 years old with outdated electricity parts, the 06 was updated but still need some work. Any bike can have bugs. Buy a can of Raid and inhale it.:banana:

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Aha! Now we know WTF is haywire with the SOW bug. Huffing gold paint was bad enough, now it's RAID? Eeeek!

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I caught your response that you deleted, understandable but for your stone tossing aboot me being flush in money like a lotto winner I must ask.........What did being stranded cost you? Was it worth the cost of repairing it correctly?

Be honest.

Not just monetarily but the stress and anguish of coasting to a stop on the side of the road a thousand miles from home. The massive ass clinching of your butt cheeks as you realized your just screwed the pooch. May as well of tossed a rod through the case to be that dead in the water.

Am I still a jerk or just stating the obvious? Done this enough myself to know not to do it ever again. Never crossed my mind to blame my bike for a repair I knew was questionable due to funds. If you can not afford it you should not wander that far from home and then blame the bike. Let the hate rain down and have the balls not to delete it.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Go on a long trip-have the charging system checked out-it can still fall though- I guess you have to bring spare parts

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ignore the BB Troll, useless piece of bug doo doo.:vader:

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Putzzzzzzzz

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

My first close encounter with a toasted R/R was aboot half a klick from the US Border on my way back from a bike deal in the great frozen North. Not a dark and stormy night but it was on a Sunday. The bike just quit. At the time I had heard aboot the R/R failures but surely not my bike! Wrong! This was years ago and even in that funny looking money that is used up there It cost me aboot a grand all totaled up.

I kept the POS anyway..

15. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I carried a spare stator and cover gasket riding across country and back, didn't need it. I've got 23K on the ricks's hotshot R/R. And 53K on the OEM stator. Not sure what OP's deal is.

You think the VFR is worse than any other sportbike? Just Google "(insert bike model here) voltage regulator problems" swap in vfr, CBR, r6, gsxr, etc.. Etc.. You'll see plenty of folks left stranded.

16. NormK

NormK New Member

Toe and Skid nailed it and I will bet you didn't solder and heatshrink the stator wires when you replaced the R/R

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    As important is soldering the three stator wires...elimanating factory connections with soldered/butt-connectors with heat shrink tubing is superiour to the stock chit.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ignore this Putzzzz

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    of course you did, sense you got it for free from the school kid next door who has been looking for it since

20. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    You speak truths.

My mechanic looked at my dead R/R and immediately knew that he had one in storage. He recognized the part as appearing the same as one that he obtained from...a Ducati.