Thermostat and heating question

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by cronos68, Jun 27, 2019.

1. cronos68

cronos68 New Member

United States
    Map
    97 VFR

Oil new and level, coolant changed 2013 but has correct amount.

Bike running hotter under normal non-stressful riding at 70-75 deg days. Temp gauge raises 1/2 way and occasionally goes higher though not to 3/4. Will cool down under less load but rides have been mild watching this.
    Normally temp gauge rarely goes north of 1/4. Fan only comes on with traffic and hotter days.
    Bike still runs great but this is bugging me.

Just drained coolant and looking to replace thermostat. Is there an automotive alternate that can be used or just stick with Honda? Was looking to run up to auto part and see if I could get an alternate but wanted to ask 1st.
    Anything else i should be looking at?

Thanks
    Greg

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Make sure the fan is actually coming on.

3. cronos68

cronos68 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks
    I'll look into fan today, but my experience is fan rarely went on in normal driving and temp rarely climbed past 1/4 gauge.
    Maybe I just wasn't aware that fan was working more than i thought

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Where do you ride? as in State? never mind, NY State? ever get to Bear Mountain?
    What you described is typical as far as temp when running/cooling down/waiting in traffic. T-Stat is rated @ 82 degrees Centigrade. Make sure you position the hole in the top part of the housing is facing forward during installation. If you have a FSM they would have told you this.

Far as going to auto parts store for this, you could I guess if you have the old one in hand. I would just order an OEM one and be done with it. Make sure your radiator bands are tight on t-stat housing when your done, (don't ask me how or why I am telling you this :frusty:) take your time and enjoy the ride. Peace

5. cronos68

cronos68 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks
    I live close to Bear Mt and drive through frequently (mid week :) away from the deer

Have knew thermostat coming (OEM ) was not going to chance it.

If I jump the sensor to ground the fan will turn on, just not sure if it is being triggered on at right temp.
    Bike is apart as I just flushed coolant and waiting on new thermostat.

Looking for help on testing the fan sensor.
    With sensor out of bike I should get no resistance between sensor's single probe and sensor base at room temp?
    And if working correctly I should see resistance grow (suspended in heated water on stove top) after say 200 degs?
    If this is correct what #'s should I see in resistance?

Thanks

ridervfr likes this.
  6. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I could be wrong but I think you have it backwards. Resistance at room temp, none at 200. And I don't think it grows, I believe it is on or off.