This is scary. Trooper rams into motorcycle couple...

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by surfandski, Sep 12, 2013.

1. surfandski

surfandski New Member

United States
    Map
  2. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    This some bullshit I tell you...I hate Pigs!!! :asshat:

I agree MFer was probably texting. ass wipe and then he's freaking worried about his CAR!?!?!?

3. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Being a member of civilian life wouldn't we get a ticket or something for doing this (inattentive driving). Surely some sort of court appearance. I agree that this guy is an asshat for (seems to me) being more concerned for his vehicle. At the end the statement was no charges brought against the trooper. I hope/wish that they at least have this ass hat not on patrol anymore. Take this guys badge away from him.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The state is going to pay a hefty sum to this couple. You can guarantee that there are a number of lawyers that smell blood in the water and they will be out for it.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :hss:
    WT?.......beep
    I cannot believe the trooper checking out his cruiser in stead of the riders. What a dush bag :chaingun:
    He should be lock up

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I hate them too.

Too bad we will likely never know exactly what the LEO was doing because everyone will clam up because of impending lawsuits. So here we are, everyone jumping on the band wagon and throwing all sorts of speculation out there. I have some theories too but none that can be substantiated by watching that video. The speed was not unreal by any stretch of the imagination. Why was the bike going that slow on a wide open state highway. Regardless of that, the bike was clearly visible and should have been seen. There is nothing in that video to support any criminal charge I can think of but I think that there is going to be a tax payer funded settlement coming to those two on the bike.

neptech can call the milkman next time his house is getting violently invaded by some coke crazed asshole. Fuck!

7. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Randy, when it comes to police situations I think it is wise to get your input. You are right, there is not much to be learned from the video. All speculation. The only thing we know for sure is the car hit the bikers. In my area the first ticket of choice is "Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident", but in Chicago, police do not ticket police. I guess it's called professional courtesy.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Fair enough. I don't deny that. However I did ticket a police officer (friend as well) I worked with when he was involved in a minor collision with another friend of mine. Sometimes it sux working in small communities.

But lets go a bit further on the "professional courtesy" issue. In 25 years of policing, other than what I already mentioned, and tagging my drill instructor from Training, you are right. I had never knowingly ticketed a police officer. People should just get over that. When you work at Ace Hardware, you get privileges I don't. That is called discretion. Discretion is the same thing that allows me not to tag each and every driver doing 1 MPH over the speed limit. Because you know what? Speeding, like Stopping at stop signs, is an absolute liability offence. Either you exceeded the speed limit or you did not. If you did, you committed the offence. Should we start throwing discretion out the window?

Also in those 25 years of policing, I have never knowingly written a firefighter, or a member of our Armed Forces. Why? Because I think they deserve a better break than the average citizen. I do not apologize for that. And my Written Warning to Ticket ratio was 1 warning to 5 tickets. So almost 20% of my contacts got the same break. With the number of contacts I made, that 20% means literally a few thousand. People I have never met before and in most cases, never met again.

Let me relate a specific incident. I was working the beam and got this guy doing Excessive Speeding. Here in BC, that is when you are travelling 40 kmh over the posted speed limit. Today, they can impound your vehicle for 30 days for that but not then. But it was a very expensive ticket. Anyways. I walk up to the driver of this car, a Bentley no less. Driver was immediately belligerent towards me soon as I told him he was being stopped for speeding and asked him for his DL and Registration. A real attitude. So I bit back. I asked him if he was pissed at me for catching him or pissed at himself for getting caught. And yes, those were the words I used. He slouched down and said that he was having a bad day. I asked him what was happening that was making his day so bad. And he told me. Yes, his life sure sucked that day. Including being sued for divorce. I returned to my car, wrote the $375.00 ticket and handed it to him to sign which he did. I then wrote in bold letters across the ticket, all copies "Warning Only" and served him his copy. I told him that maybe this would be the start of a better day for him. That is what discretion allows me to do. That is what "pigs" do. That happens thousands of time a day, everywhere.

Something went terribly wrong in that video. I don't know what. It will likely be discovered and I suspect that there will be some compensation coming to those people on the bike. I am so glad to see they survived that horrific collision, because I am sure it could have been a lot worse. I myself have a permanent injury, actually three I think, due to encounters with the criminal element. One was a collision with a drunk while I was responding to help a victim of crime. I often wonder how many of those many roadside 24 hour Drivers Licence Suspensions I handed out rather than arresting them for DWI, (there's that damned discretion again) went back to their cars and drove away. I am not aware of any and sure hope none went back, drove away, then killed someone in another jurisdiction.

My rant is over. Now I am going to go kick a field goal with the poodle, suck back a cold beer then go to bed.

9. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Wow!

The cop cars around here seem very distracting. Not only do they have full on computers and large screens but they are all facing the driver. Whatever the reason was- if he was a regular person his life would have been ruined.

-Drew

10. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Not to take any blame away from the cager, but what was the biker looking at when this happened? If I saw a set of headlights coming up on my a$$ like that, there is no way I would have let it get that close. I know it happened fast, but the everyone's out to get you rule can never take a day off.

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    WOW. That was horrible. The trooper did not come off like he was too concerned aboot what he just did to those two.

12. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your service Randy....Unfortunately its always the bad cop that gets the news report. Just like the preacher or teacher molesting little children. Im sure there are a lot of good cops, teachers and preachers out there that do not get enough credit.

Now on to my point. If the roles were reversed. Couple hits cop on bike. The man (assuming he was driving), would have been cuffed and stuffed. Spent a night or two in jail, along with probably some "bruising" from tripping on the stairs going down to the first (and only) floor jail cell. Had his day in court and be told by the judge never to even look at another car again. I was hoping that the lib media would have at least said that the officer was pulled from duty or suspended without pay instead of leaving the reader hanging and fumeing.

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have never understood the whole "hating on cops" thing. The long and short of it is we hire imperfect people to police us and to uphold the law. We don't like it because we don't like to be told what to do. The alternative is anarchy. Cops have wrecks. Cops have bad days. The truth is you could take the account of the Bentley driver and revers it with the attending officer have the bad day. It works both ways. In my experience it is good policy to be nice to cops. Most are just doing their jobs.

14. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    If I was a little bit dumber I would have been a cop :crazy:

Seems like most of the times cops are above the law, if I did that I would be in jail.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

Appreciate the acknowledgement. Yes there are bad cops. Yes they seem to cast a light that makes us all look bad. I accept that. It is just that some people make stupid comments that need to be challenged.

You may be quite correct that if the roles were reversed, the non cop would have been arrested and cuffed. A lot of the other things you mention in all probability did happen for more often that I would like to admit. But in this day of video cameras everywhere, including in the police buildings, I don't think that is common place. Probably rare. Not to say that some undeserving badge carrying idiot might do something behind the dash cam's view. But when it comes to court, he has to explain where any visible injuries to a suspect came from. And he will be in a position that he has to refute all ridiculous allegations put to him by defense counsel. Believe me, there are great attempts on defense lawyers side to do that. That is what their clients are paying them to do whether I agree with it or not. Those are the rules I know and have to play by.

We here have a process in our court system called Full Disclosure. What that is, the Crown (our version of your DA) must disclose its full and complete case to the defense. That includes any notes that the officer has. Any disciplinary action taken against the officer in the past, if asked for, that could affect his evidence even though it is not related to the case at hand. This allows them to "build" a defense based on matters that has nothing to do with the alleged crime. This process is not a two way street. Defense does not have to supply Crown with anything at all, unless the sitting judge orders it in court. So much of the battle in court is stacked against the prosecution. The accused BTW, is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Here, they cannot be held in custody unless the Criminal Code specifically says so, or there is a concern over court appearance, preservation of evidence, or the continuation of the offense alleged by the accused. ie, If a DUI is drunk and not complying with reasonable requests, his car is parked at roadside in the not to far distance, and he lives out of town. If police fear he may get back into the car and drive again right away drunk, they hold him until sober.

For a moment we will get back to this presumed innocent. That also applied to those in law enforcement. To suspend this officer, without pay, is to presume he is guilty before they can even start an investigation. Therefore he is presumed guilty isn't he?

I ran into something very much like that as I was retiring. A single off road right roll over MVA. Person driving was not the owner of the van but was driving for all the right reasons. They (6 of them) were going out to celebrate a birthday. She lost control and the van flipped. Two passengers with broken necks. (side bar. My supervisor wanted me to go issue seat-belt tickets to these two. I literally told him to fuck off...in those words. He was one of those who gave cops a bad name. I also told him I was going directly to the families of these two and inform them of this discussion. I mean, if the long recovery from a broken neck is not enough of a learning tool to make someone start wearing seat-belts, I really don't see a $79.00 Seat-belt ticket doing anything). Back to the driver. Van had plates on it that belonged to a car. Owner was flipping plates back and forth from one vehicle to the other. So the van was not insured.

I told the driver that I understood she may not have knowledge of this but she was in fact the driver of an uninsured vehicle so a ticket was written and served. These are expensive tickets. I told her that my opinion was that she should make the owner pay. I don't have an opinion in court but I sure do outside of court. The registered owner of that van and the flipped plates was none other than another LEO, one who I worked with on the same watch for about 8 years. I knew this all along.

To make a very long and complex story shorter, he showed up and presented another co worker with dirty documentation he said he found at the accident scene that proved he had transferred the insurance to the van as prescribed, but the paperwork was working its way through. I was off shift for a few days. Co worker accepted these documents but he could not pull the ticket written to the drive and I insisted it stand until I had a chance to thoroughly review what had happened in my absence. I do know, I searched for probably an hour at the roadside, and through the vehicle for such documentation. It was not there. SO my suspicions were raised considerably.

When I arrived back at work, my working file was gone. It now in the hands of very senior officers who were speaking with insurance fraud investigators. And my little bit of hell just got worse. Now I am stuck in the middle of a third party investigation that was taking place because of a bad cop. And it goes on to follow me after I retired. This cop was creating absolute hell for me at a time when I should be looking forward to and the enjoying retirement. We in the RCMP are covered by the RCMP Act. That is a federal Statute and as such has a whole pile of shit that goes with it when it comes to discipline and investigation of code of conduct. This officer went off duty sick while this investigation continued. He was being paid. That is the way it is. He was charged under Federal Statute for Conduct Unbecoming. He had already been found guilty in criminal court for Fraud on this. Three years after this incident, I was Summonsed to RCMP Service Court. I was to be in a position that I would be giving damning evidence against a fellow officer. Not a pleasant situation to be in. But truthful and accurate evidence was going to be delivered regardless of what it was putting me through. Guess what. In similar situations, I am willing to believe that 99.9% of the LEOs out there would do the same as I. Bad, crooked, slimy cops piss most of us off.

OK. Enough again. I seem to be producing loose stool at the mouth. Time to wash the truck.

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

You can do it. Try harder. I have confidence in you!

17. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nah I am too smart being a Civil Engineer making the world a better place for all and I'm currently going for my masters so I can never be a PIG. And for the record this PIG who almost killed two innocent people on the motorcycle is guilty, should be put in jail in gen-pop with the rest of the criminals. I'm sure he would make a lot of new friends in there. You know what a COP is? Someone who didn't get caught as a youngster and slipped through the cracks and now has a EASY LITTLE job. But don't worry I am not shocked at this, here in NJ a State Trooper murdered two young women with his car because he was talking on his cell phone (or yanking his crank) on the Parkway and now has desk work. Sorry Randy I do not qualify.

18. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Seeing the Officer being boneheaded inattentive bits been covered, this accident also highlights the simple fact random things happen and the importance of being fully geared up and full faced helmets, from the looks their injuries would have been a lot less had they been.

19. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    We got enough not jobs on the road without the cops getting involved too

20. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I once had a this dumb ass cop tell me that he had specialized driving training!! But I see them everyday on the highways driving 120 hp weaving in and out of traffic so they can get the last donut at the bakery. If all cops had to go before a civilian board of review I bet their stupidity would stop if they knew they were going to get fired but they hide like scared children behind their unions and union appointed lawyers. So to sum up, they enforcers of the law do not have to follow it.