Three decade dream

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by schrocketeer, May 4, 2020.

1. schrocketeer

schrocketeer New Member

United States
    After high school, when I was carrying out groceries, on Friday afternoons I'd go drool over the bikes at the local dealer. VFRs were the fancy new bikes up in the main showcase.
    Saturday evening I picked up a 1986 VFR700F. A previous owner had done a near restoration.
    Yesterday I put 140 miles on it. With a good split of highway and twisties, I got 45 mpg.
    Going in to a turn, the bike inspires confidence, "Yeah, you can take this faster, and lean over further!"
    Odometer quit working about 11k miles ago. It's showing 29k miles, and you can see it slightly tick, like it's trying to turn over. The tripmeter works fine. On another bike, I've taken the odometer apart, and replaced individual gears, so I'm not afraid to dive in, to get this one's going.
    There's a few cracks on the body work which I'll repair eventually. For now I want to put some miles on it. The Seller said he thought he had put 150 miles on it in the year he had it.

Attached Files:

Samuel and Viffer J like this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Congrats! I have been collecting the mini bikes I never had and the bikes that I used to drool over at the Honda dealer. Well, the ones I can afford. I remember a time when I had an opportunity to buy a used RC30 for about $10,500 . No way could I afford it then, I was still in College, or just out. And that was thousands more than the brand new sport bikes at the time.