Throttle cutting out. 6th gen

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DanBjR, Aug 8, 2020.

1. DanBjR

DanBjR New Member

United States
    Noticed an occasional odd throttle drop out, it's only intermittent so hard to diagnose.

Seems I'm cruising and holding throttle position, when I feel the power cut out. Add some throttle and power comes back. It's only for a second. Did it a few times today and honestly the first time I was doing 80ish in 6th. Road was little bumpy so disnt know if it was just the back wheel getting air. The last time I was at maybe 10% throttle 45mph and 4-5000 rpm.

I do have a power commander. And I dont know if it's been like this for any amount of time. No fi light, don't think the ecu is loosing power as it doesn't light up fi or abs. Each time I left it in gear so I cant say if it dropped to idle or cut completely.

As a side note, I've not yet installed the o2 eliminators. So idk if this is just the ecu trying to correct a constant rich condition from the power commander.

Most likely unrelated I'm still dealing with engine vibration above 6k rpm and roughness below 4k. Ordered cam chain tensioners and a wax idle unit (mines shot and I think its opening/closing randomly as my idle is not consistent. Some days it gets to temp and is low, others it's right on from startup. I'm wondering if its messing with my fueling. Especially since I did the sync and it was broken then so I'm guessing it's wrong.

2. dhinson66

dhinson66 New Member

United States
    Map
    Couldn't you take the PC out of the loop and see if the problem persists?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Start with basics.
    Disconnect the power commander.
    Fit the new cam chain tensioners

Synch the throttle bodies.

Retest.

Wax idle on a 6th gen ! not sure I've heard of those failing but there will always be one.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Before you swap out the wax unit, check to see if you have clean flow of coolant through the small hoses that feed and drain it; these block easily and cause weird idle issues.

wiremanjon likes this.
  5. Cogswell

Cogswell New Member

United States
    Once you gone through the above, install O2 elims. Remove as many variables as possible. Bettet still, replace the PC with a Rapid Bike - way better right out of the box.