Thurn Motorsport, Germany

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by noel2913, Mar 27, 2007.

1. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

...anyone done any buziness with Thurn Motorsport, in Germany? They have some of the DynamoHumm bodywork i like, and was wondering about quality, ease or difficulty of fitment, painted or gelcoat, shipping charges, all that kinda stuff...they have a single seat tailsection i like, and if i can't get OEM parts, i'll go with Thurn in Germ...[​IMG]

2. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm currently stationed in Germany, and have purchased two items from Thurn, the first is the aluminum chain guard. It's pretty nice and I'm quite happy with it. The second item that I purchased from them was a carbon fiber CBR 954 front fender. It did not come drilled, and the quality was so-so. Over all my experience with them has been good, they have quickly answered any of my goofy questions. I would buy from them again, if ther ws any thing that they had that I was currentl;y interested in. Hope that helps.

3. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

yes, your info does help...

absolutely...at least someone has bought from them...what was delivery time like...how long to california do you think...

4. douglasthecook

United States
    Map
    Well, like I said, I'm stationed in Germany, so shipping was fairly quick, 2-3 days tops, and it was free, due to being in country. You'll pay more shipping going to the States, I'm not really sure how much, I'd guess 2 weeks on shipping time, just because it has to cross the Atlantic, and go through customs, but it still shouldn't be a problem. You can always e-mail them, they do respond rather promptly, just remember that we're 9 hours ahead of the West Coast, and 6 hours ahead of the East Coast (if I remember right).

5. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

thanks for the info...i've been communicating with Gerhard about single seat tail section they make, as finding OEM replacements for my 1990VFR750F has been difficult to say the least...i'm going to review project with my local shop www.motowheels.com before i commit to purchase...by the way, groovy pic douglas...

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

I have the Thurn RC30 bodykit on my '90 VFR and some of the LED goodies including turnsignal mirrors on my '94 CB1000. I deal directly with Gerhard (owner) and all their products are the best quality available.

7. Spike

Spike New Member

I have bought some carbon fiber bits from them
    ordered a while ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I beleive the turn around time and shipping was actually surprisingly quick
    like, when my wife called and said I had a package at home, it didn't even occur to me that it could be the Thurn stuff, that is how quick

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm aren't they the folks that have a carbon fiber hugger chain guard for a 94-97? could have sworn they where, but I'm not having any luck finding them again, could be they were to much $$$ and they stopped making them

9. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

...wow..thanks for all the good comments guys regarding thurn motorsports...i really wanted to know even just a little about their stuff before dropping 5 bills on a far, far, far away RC30 bodykit...

10. SierraVFR

SierraVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I purchased the front end kit in 3 parts for a 92 VFR. The fiberglass is high quality and parts fit well. They come in a gray epoxy overcoat. Somebody ran into by bike while parked and cracked the front. After the body shop was done the damage was not noticed.
    Gerhard was very helpful
    Sierra VFR

11. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    I purchased Thurn's adjustable footpegs on eBay. I immediately received a confirming email from Gerhard. The pegs arrived about five days later via air mail. High quality, perfect fit, works as advertized. Can't speak about their plastic parts, but their service was outstanding. Highly recommended.

12. kvanmar

kvanmar New Member

Douglas,

You mentioned you are stationed in Germany..... I was wondering if Germans can buy an US sepcs bike? Maybe they can but I believe the sales taxes are super expensive... right? Thanks

Also how is the riding over there?

13. douglasthecook

United States
    Map
    Yes I am stationed in Germany. Germans can by U.S. spec bikes, normally from people stationed over here, however the customs, and emissions paperwork is usually a big deterrent in doing this. The riding over here is pretty good. I'm 45 min away from Nurburgring, and about 60 minutes from Spa-Francorchamps.

14. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    VFR body parts

An alternative, as long as you're NOT going to replace the 93 body, is Airtech Streamlining. They have fiberglass body kits for the Rc30 and RC45, as well as 4th gen.

Pays your money....

Larry
    VFRrider

15. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yeppers....I bought my new chainguard from them. Check out the pics. Took about a month to get the ole girl....great quality, but I had it custom powercoated black because I did not like their aluminum color.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/48783-post1.html

16. racercosmo

racercosmo New Member

Map
    How much work is involved to put the RC-30 bodywork on a 3rd gen VFR?

17. KnuckleDragger79

KnuckleDragger79 New Member

Questions...questions.....

Did you ever do this??? Thought I'd ask,..kind of an older posting...I have a 1990 VFR750, which I bought for a project. Planned on using the motor and other items on the bike, but the more I look at it, the more I think it could farily easily be restored to a very nice looking bike....Bought it for $160 from a tow yard...classic rat bike....the fairing/plastic is TOTALLY thrashed and rigged together w/ wire & gasket sealer (ultra copper I think)...but underneath it looks good and it is a complete bike and runs great....the Two Brothers exhuast was a bonus....has 28K on it....

Does anyone have any suggestions???? Like I said, the fairing panels are TOTALLY thrashed....I would just like to get a new fairing and start from scratch....no belly pan also.....

Owned plenty of other bikes, but never a VFR....VFR virgin....but the more I read about them, the more well built they appear....

Thanks for any suggestions...

18. dale-j

dale-j New Member

Well, you *could* streetfighter it, not that I'm biased or anything... :rolleyes: it will take a lot of tidying up wiring and stuff that was never intended to be exposed, but the frame is a thing of beauty and you really should show it off.

Attached Files:

19. betarace

betarace New Member

?

any pix, thinking of an RC30 conversion

20. racercosmo

racercosmo New Member

Map
    I haven't gotten to the looks of my bike yet. I've got the engine/exhaust, next up is suspension.