Ticking from engine at idle

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just purchased a 2000 model VFR and I am getting a clearly audible ticking noise from the engine, sounds like valve noise. Is this normal or should I have it looked at.Bike has done 35k kilometres and is in perfect condition.

2. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

A little noise is normal. If the valves have never been checked/adjusted it's about that time with that many kms on it. If you haven't done so already check the oil level.

3. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Gear driven valves are suppose to be noisy.
    Noisy valves are happy valves, it's when they get quiet you need to start worrying.. tight walves are dangerous..

4. johnscudder

johnscudder New Member

;D I too hear that sound. I have just purchased a 2001 VFR800FI with 25k miles on it. I hear this ticking and immediately thought:
    1. It's gotten too hot while I'm riding it here in the summer months in Temecula CA, where the temp has been tripple digits of late.
    2. A Valve job is indicated.

The owner said that he had the valves checked a bit ago and that they were within their specifications.

Anyone else with this noise? Thanks mucho!

John

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I believe you are just hering the fuel injectors doiong their thing. Jeff McQueen

6. stephanon2whls

stephanon2whls New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree - as long as it's not heavy metal mechanical ticking, but plastic injector clicking.

:)

7. pdiz

pdiz New Member

I have a '96 VFR750 with 17K on the clock. I hear the same ticking at idle, but when I give it a little throttle, it immediately goes away. I am not sure if the ticking I hear is what you describe as "heavy metal" but insomuch as it's carburated, I know it's not the fuel injectors. In fact, when I put my ear to the crank case at idle, it sounds like one of those front-office clerks with the two-inch nail extensions nervously tapping her nails on a government-regulated metal desk about four times per second, then a slight pause, then four times per second, repeat... a little throttle and it goes away, only to return when it drops back down to idle. Should I get the valves checked?

8. rngdng

rngdng New Member

I can hear the valves in my 91 at idle also. I'm not worried about it.

Lane

9. chesthing

chesthing New Member

It's the cams that are driven by the gears, and that noise is a minor whistle sound. My '00 also has a minor tick at idle, sounds the same now w/ 16k that it did when I bought the bike w/ 7k - don't worry about it.

10. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the same noise on my 96. Pretty sure its normal.

11. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    It is probably one valve slightly out of spec, i.e. too loose. I would keep an ear on it, and if the ticking starts getting louder, I would definitely check them (or have them checked). For what it is worth, sometimes changing oil brands (high quality motorcycle oil) seems to quiet things down. It might be a difference in detergents, or who knows what. With a used bike, you generally don't know what kind of oil has been used. And occasionally just an oil change will help (I have one air-cooled old bike that always runs quieter at idle with fresh oil). Just a thought.

12. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Does the noise increase in frequency when your rev the engine?

PDIZ sounds like the fuel pump.

13. pdiz

pdiz New Member

Thanks for everyone's input. The bike was sold to me by my dad after sitting for four years, taken immediately to the shop for carb work (I flushed the tank myself),, and after I got it home I did an oil change and so happened to notice the ticking since I often check everything out afterwards, checking for leaks, weird sounds, etc.

P.S. I used a genuine Honda filter and Honda GN4 oil, although it was SJ rated, which is all they had at m/c shop...

P.S.S. No, any sort of throttle, even a soft blip, makes the noise go away until the revs drop again to idle.