Tire Question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ride, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ride

ride New Member

Just looking for some advice on tire selection. I found a screw in my rear tire just before going out for a ride this weekend, and since the tire is pretty much used up it's time to look at a new set. The tires I have (that were on the bike when I bought it) are Battleax BT50. I can't find these same tires from any online retailers, so I assume they've been replaced? My front tire has good tread left. My questions are:
    1) How old is this line of tires?
    2) Should I be replacing both, or can I replace just the rear with another Bridgestone tire?
    3) I would prefer a slightly lower profile tire as I am a short rider. Any recommendations?
    Any advice and opinions appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken

2. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    I just replaced the tires on my Gen 6 with a set of continental road attacks.
    I chose the conti's mainly due to the good press they have received here on the forum. in the past i've used michelin pilot powers to good effect also.

i guess it comes down to whats available in your area, price, and riding style.
    Most members will have there own preferences for metzler, dunlop, michelin, avon etc.. so do some research and have a look thru some of the other tire threads here on the forum.

as far as changing the front goes, I like to have a matched pair on the bike.
    tyres often work best when matched in the correct combination.
    putting on an odd tyre can cause handling issues as they may not have matching profiles.

If possible change both for peace of mind, as you know where you are with your tyres then. note that a tyre doesn't have to completely worn out to be past its best.

cheers RT

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

1) How old is this line of tires?

Tires manufactured after 2000 (in the US, Canada should be the same) have to have a four digit code (this is in a slightly raised block, or box) on the sidewall (example = 3306 = 33 week of 2006). The first two numbers are the week, and the second two are the year. Prior to that, the date was attached to other letters/numbers before it. The old style had the last three numbers of the code signifying the date. It would have two digits for the month, and one digit for the year. Tires were not thought to be around for more than 10 years. They stopped this, because you could not tell if a tire with the code 339 was made in the 33 week of 1989 or 1999.

2) Should I be replacing both, or can I replace just the rear with another Bridgestone tire?

Best to replace both if they are old/worn/dryrotted/cupping, but if one tire is good, it is ok to just replace one at a time. Both is optimal, but one is fine if the other is not too old and in good condition. As Richard stated, a tire doesn't have to be worn to be past its best. I do not believe that you have to stay with the stock brand of tire. I never do usually, as many times, the stock OEM tires are junk, and grip and wear like shit, so I trash them, and throw on a good quality set. Lots of good tire makers out there. Metzeler, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc....

3) I would prefer a slightly lower profile tire as I am a short rider. Any recommendations?

I would stick with the stock profile myself. If you get a smaller profile of the stock tire, it changes the profile of the tire (how round/flat it is), and might throw your speedo off slightly as well. It would not do much for ride height anyways.