Tires for a 02VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by prasadee, Jan 16, 2006.

1. prasadee

prasadee New Member

I did a quick search and I did not find any tire comparison thread.

I just got a 02 VFR with 5200 miles, and the tires are almost bald as the previous owner has probably never filled air in it.

I want to get new tires. I am going to use my VFR mainly for commuting to work 2 days a week, and occasional weekend rides. What would be the recommended tire? I am not looking for sticky racing tires. I am looking for a durable commuter tire, with some ability to hang on during weekend rides to the hills in Southern Calif.

Your inputs much appreciated,
    -Prasadee

2. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  3. clwnew

clwnew New Member

I use the bt 20 also it is a great tire for all of the above. It rides great
    i ride everyday and never had a problem from them. Hope this helps

4. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Picking a right tire for yourself is just like picking the topping for a pizza. What works well for one may not work well for yourself. Every tire manufactor has their selling technlogy that makes their brand better than the others. The only advice I can give is consider what ever you ride on, all what happens when you ride (accelaration, braking, and cornering) happens on a contact patch no bigger than a quarter. Just don't ride on bald or deteiroated tires. You might be a statistic if you do.

5. brianereed

brianereed New Member

higher miliage needed

I have tried a bunch of brands looking for something to give me decent rear wheel miliage. Avon, Metzler, Pirelli, and Dunlop just to mention a few. The best miliage of 5500 mile came from the Avons. I just ordered a Metzler z6 specifically made for the yamaha fjr. I should know how it held up by the beginning of the summer. Next I will also try the bridgestone 020s since I have also recieved this recomendation from other vfr owners. I usually get almost 10K out of any front tire I try.

Does anyone get good miliage from a specific rear tire? If so, which one, and how much?

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well Bridgestone doesn't make it anymore at least I'm not finding any But for what it is worth The BT56R that I used saw 10K and 11K. then moved on to the 014 nice tire bike was wreaked before they even had 200 miles on em. Now I'm trying the Pirelli Corsa. But now that Dunlop has finally got it together. the new Quailfier is on my list

7. Steves1150

Steves1150 New Member

I agree there are lots of tires out there...I like the BT 020s on my VFR, but NOT on my R1150RT...another tire with good "stickiness" and mileage is the Michelin Pilot Roads.

I had a set of Pilot Sports on the bike last summer and they barely lasted me a ride from Texas back to So Cal...in fact, I had to buy a rear in Flagstaff, fearing I might not make it all the way home!

Good luck,

Steve in So Cal

8. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Mchelin Pilots

:cool: I have about 5k on my pilots and they have over 70% left. Keep in mind I keep the air PSI right and have refrained from burn-outs (lately),

9. googus

googus New Member

I too like Pilot roads. I like the BT's 020 in rear and 010 front set up the best.
    Greg