to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by linda, May 5, 2006.

1. linda

linda New Member

Map
    Hi, i need help can anyone give me some advice on the honda vfr 800 anniversary 2001 modle (red and silver) ?
    I am new to bikeing only passed my test 12 months ago i have been riding a suzuki gsxr 600 2001 modle and love it, however i have sufferd a back injury about 8 months ago and find the gsxr is very uncomfortable after an hour or so of riding it so she has to go unfortunatley. After sitting on the vfr in my local bike shop i was quite impressed with riding possition but i would like to hear from someone other than a sales man who obviousley want a sale.
    Anyone out there who can help please.
    Linda

2. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

The 01 VFR is a great bike and a good alternative to a 600. More upright positioning, intoxicating sound and better low end grunt. It's heavier by almost 100lbs and will not flick into turns like your 600 but once you are use to it very good bike and honda reliability.

3. Capt. John

Capt. John New Member

Map
    Hi Linda,
    Where are you from? I understood the anniversary models were all 1999 and did not go to North America. Mine was built 2/99 - I live in Aus. I love the colour scheme myself and hope you do. The bike is a great bike, I also have suffered back problems (slipped disc) and have no difficulty riding long distances on this bike. Buy it - The VFR is so well made, it is hard to believe Honda could make a profit on them.

4. linda

linda New Member

Map
    Hi John, thanks for your reply.
    I live in the UK,the bike was first registerd 5/5/01 a Y reg. I have purchased the VFR after a test ride on saturday, The riding position is so diffrent from my GSXR i couldnt belive how comfortable it was and it seemed to take itself around corners with no effort from me
    The only thing i dont like is the exhaust it sounds like a sewing machine (am i in deep trouble with all you vfr riders)?
    I was told i would get used to the sound but im not so sure, ill give it a couple of weeks and if i still dont like it its coming off. I do think it would look nice with a high line exhaust to show the single sided swing arm off.
    Linda

5. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

If it still has the stock pipe then yes it sounds like crap. I tossed mine after two weeks and put a high mount leo on it sounded great. VFRs sound so much better after you remove the stock exhuast but that's the case with most bikes.

6. Capt. John

Capt. John New Member

Map
    Hi Linda,
    I understand now that your bike was new in 2001. The earlier bikes are better in my view as they do not have the catalytic converters that post 01 bikes have. I will see if I can attach a photo of my beauty

Attached Files:

• VFR.jpg
      VFR.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views: