To Plug Or Not To Plug

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by SCraig, May 14, 2008.

?

To Plug Or Not To Plug

1. Leave it alone

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Get it plugged

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Replace the tire

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I have a relatively new Z6 (about 1,000 miles on it) on the rear of my VFR. I noticed last night that there is a small nail in it. The nail has obviously been there a while since the head is pretty worn. It hasn't been leaking air or anything and I'm tempted to just leave well enough alone. What do you guys think?

2. Britt

Britt New Member

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, except mine is leaking a few psi per day. I was going to patch/plug it, or even use slime (which I used successfully in the past), but then I thought about it going flat when I'm a couple hundred miles from home. That would suck.

If I were only riding locally, I would repair it knowing that I could get assistance without too much trouble. A hole that small will take some time to deflate the tire. However in my case I ordered a new tire online and will have it mounted next week. Roughly $150 is worth it to me...

Good luck to you!!

3. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I hate it when this happens. New tire and a Nail. If it isnt leaking now it hasn't punctured through yet. As it wears the head off completely it will push deeper into the tire. I would remove it to be safe. If it starts leaking when you remove it then repair or replace the tire. I know you are not supposed to patch these high performance tires but given the cost of a new tire. I have done it. I routinely go over my tires and remove embedded road debris from glass and bits of metal.

4. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    The Cost of a new tire? How much is that versus the cost of high siding when the tire goes flat while in a turn? To me it's a no brainer... If there is any question of a tire's safety and I mean "ANY" replace the tire.... The cost of plastics, pegs, sliders, mirrors and possible injury is way more than the 150-200 bucks to replace the tire... :rolleyes:

5. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    This brings up an interesting question to me. What makes the high performance moto tires unsafe for plugging? I had this issue last year and for fear of my life I chunked a brand new Conti RA with less than 100 miles. But I still wonder why these tires do not work well with plugs. Is it just their make-up? Do people not plug high performance car tires? There is a product somewhere on these internets that offers a fool proof guaranteed plug for motorcycle tires, but after shipping and product cost it ends up being almost cheaper to buy new.

So to answer your question I replaced my tire, and I no longer really think about that little plug in the tire as I'm entering a double apex corner on a small backroad that may have a cager in the wrong lane and gravel in my lane. Just one too many things to think about! Now no worries.

Vs

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Yeah [sigh], I agree. Painful as it was I ordered a new tire and will replace it when the new one gets here. Jeez, I just hate to chunk a virtually new tire for one piddly little tack-sized nail though.

Thanks for the input guys. I knew the answer before I posted it, I guess, just hoping there was another way.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
  8. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Good link, MD. Thanks for posting it.

I did come home and pull it out, and it's not a nail. Believe it or not it appears to be a thorn or something, definitely made of wood. Whatever it is it couldn't have gone through the belts. No leak from the hole, just a hole.

I was going to ride about 500 miles Saturday but the new tire won't be in by then. I'm tempted to cut the end off and glue it back in the tire :party2:

Photos below are links to larger photos. Click an image below to view the large one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I cant make the call for you to use or not, but whadever you do, dont stick the thorn back in the tire!

MD

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ride baby ride, just keep an eye on it, if it goes flat you'll know it. But from what I can tell and if it were me I'd ride. double check psi at around 34. I surly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW I've a many miles on plugged tires, but this one don't need plugged.

12. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    A lot of my decisions are based on finances. Even if my only transport was a motorcycle, I would plug a new tire if my bank account suggested it, and budget for a replacement ASAP. And if I replaced a fairly new damaged tire, I would probably plug it and keep it around for a year or two as a spare, for me or a pal in times of need.

13. timothy wahl

timothy wahl New Member

United States
    ive used this type of plug with no problems what so ever.......Tire Tech Information - Puncture Repairs....
    you can get these at most major tire stores....people have preached to only discard the tire...usually that it's too much of a risk patching the tire....after using this type of plug for the last 15 years im convinced that it's safe if properly installed.i will only use it on the rear though....just not willing to chance it on the front.hope this helps...by the way...if any of you have or get nails in new tires and dont want the tire because of it...ill gladly take it off your hands....lmao!

14. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it as always.

MD, I didn't put the thorn back. I was only kidding about that, although I do admit the thought did cross my mind.

The thorn (or whatever it is) wasn't long enough to go all the way through, and there is no way it could have penetrated the belts. I sprayed some soapy water on the hole and it isn't leaking at all. I had some silicone sealer in the basement so I pumped the hole full of that just to keep crap out and I'm going to ride it for now and see how it goes. I do have a new tire on order and will get it replaced, but as advised I think I'll keep this one around for emergency use.

15. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    I think its a sharks tooth!! But since you're around Nashville, not much chance of that.

SCraig, if you're ever going to be up around Murray, Ky give me a shout, I'll show you some nice roads! Yeah keep it around for emergency use, might not hurt if you got in a pinch.

Vs

16. SCraig

SCraig New Member

That's it! It's a prehistoric petrified shark's tooth. I'll sell it to a museum or something to pay for the tire that it hacked :tongue:

I do get up into KY from time to time. My mother lives in Clarksville, TN so that part of the state is my original stomping grounds. I rode to Land Between The Lakes a couple of months ago, and Ft. Donelson last weekend. I'm heading for Lincoln City and Vincennes, IN on Saturday so I won't be that far east. I'll get up your way one of these weekends. Thanks for the invite.