Too hot into a curve...what to do?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Miketegra, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

The title question was posed in another forum, and I'm interested to see what replies are given here.
    So basically, if you are going into a curve (at moderate speed....say....45mph, leaning at about 75%) and think you are going too fast to make it, what should you do?
    Here are a few answers from the other forum:
    1. Stand it up fast and then brake hard, run wide if necessary and if possible to do so
    2. Ride it out with light throttle (just enough to keep everything settled, but not so much as to actually accelerate) and hope you have enough lean and traction available to stay up
    3. Light braking both front and rear.....enough to slow you down without standing the bike up too much, and try to complete the curve at a lower speed

Mike

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    For me it depends on how hot. I found myself doing this the other day as my head was not in the ride. It awakened me quickly. Luckily the opposite lane was open so I let the bike go wide and stood her up a little. If there had been a car, I would have taken the inside and leaned in more possibly going off the seat some, too. I was just being lazy and could see there were no cars. After that curve, I shook it off and got my head back on straight. Never did quite find the zone so I cruised around slowly most of the day.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I find if I am a little hot into a curve, Itend to lightly apply the rear brake. I never thouch the front if I am leaned over because mine is touchy. So far, I have had no issues where I locked up the rear brake, causing a slide. You jsut have to be real careful of how much brake and how hard you apply it. But then again, thats me. Everyone is different.

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I am with Vman. I ride with (or more like catch up to when they stop) some faster sport bike riders. Thats what they suggested when I asked the same qusetion. I tried it and like it. If I feel a little to fast I just put a little pressure on the rear brake and lean a slight bit harder. It seems to drop the front slightly and help tighten your line.

5. quema

quema New Member

This answer is specific to my riding style. I don't drag my knee. But I go fairly quick in the mountains.

If I go too hot into a corner, it is usually because I am not totally "in the game". If I can get myself back in the game immediately, I roll on the throttle, lean in and "kiss the mirror".

If you hit the brakes the bike will stand up, if you let off the gas, the bike will stand up, the other lane isn't an option.

If you have greater capacity than I do, and you can push a bike past it's limits, then your answer would be different.

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Oh did I get carried away on this one...

There are so many variables that play a roll in this decision that I don't think a single response is appropriate.

Down hill?
    Of Camber?
    Blind Corner getting tighter?
    Sand?
    Oncoming trafic?
    Tires?
    Road surface?
    Are you at 105% or 150% more than you think the bike will manage?
    Rider skill level?
    Passenger on board?

One thing is for certain, you are riding too fast on a known or unknown road or you had a lapse of concentration and if you do make it through, it is time to take a break and ask yourself some serious questions. WTF was I thinking is the first one!

That said, Assuming good flat road conditions and the percieved possibility of pulling it off.
    Myself, I would continue to trail brake towards the apex as smooth as possible so as to not upset the chassis (assuming that I'm already braking). I would lean the bike over as far as traction or physical ground clearance will allow and yes my knee will be on the pavement along with anything else that I can hang off the bike. These bike will turn harder than the average rider has experienced. Give it a shot!

To make a long story even longer, I had an experience just like this at Road Americas turn 5.
    I had the hammer down chasing a fella on a CBR600RR and I was determined to get past him. The lead in is a loooong straight that leads down hill into a sharp left hand 90deg turn. In an effort to out brake him as our speeds were close (150ish), I missed my brake marker and was put into a bad position. I braked hard in a straight line and leaned it over, trail braking to the apex but I was wide. This is not a corner to be wide on! Half way through, with pegs and knee puck grinding I coul tell that I was going wide on the exit and had to decide if I wanted to go off while leaned over or stand it up and give myself a shot at saving it. Luckily I had scrubbed off alot of speed and as I stood it up, I hit the grass (off the brakes) and was able to ride it for about a hundred feet up the hill and back on the track without event. Then it was game on again! Got a big thumbs up from the corner workers as the only recognition for my save.
    I look back at it now and wonder why my shorts weren't full. If that had occured on the street I probably wouldn't be here. It must have been the adrenalin form the chase previous to the event that made it possible for me to keep it together and carry on as if it never occured.

The CBR600RR rider watched in horror :eek: from behind and we talked later. Lesson learned.

I guess I combined a couple of options into one sucessful save this time. Give it a chance of sucess till there are no other options and then take the least painfull option. :biggrin:

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    All good advice, as I'd be trail braking also, but depending on the road, this does make a big differance. one thing I do know for sure these bike will ride out most situations like this, thing is, is to lean it over. i mean lean it over. very smooth action on or off throttle more of a hold it still on a slight off throttle and maybe a light touch on the rear brake nothing to harsh to upset the chassis. and stay focused on where you want to go, no time for road fixation here. look where you want to go and more than likey you'l get there might feel really un sure but most of the time it will work out.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  8. sirprice

sirprice New Member

It depends on many things but unless you ride at 100% there is usually plenty left in the bike after the rider has chickened out.
    Trail braking with the rear is something I always tend to do anyway as it helps settle the bike , if I get a little in hot then I can gently apply a little more rear brake ,as this has the effect of pulling the bike into the turn as long as you keep a steady throttle , Front brake will make the bike stand up and run wide.
    As we all have said it all depends upon the incident but usually the bike is more capable than the rider so give it a dose of countersteer , get some weight over the front and off to the inside of the turn ( not knee down but in that direction) and let the Viffer do its job , 99.99% of the time you will be well rewarded.
    If not a low side off is still better than a head on with traffic in the other lane..

9. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Aww heck - I'll throw my two bobs worth in as well. Since returning to riding just over 12 months ago all I can say is thank god I chose a VFR to climb back on! In the initial months back in the saddle, I had a few moments that left a couple of pucker marks on the seat - mainly because I was unfamiliar with the road and/or just getting carried away with the thrill of the ride.

Anyhoo.. since its a Viffer - caress the rear brake and you know you get front brake as well. What I loved was the fact that I could take a tighter line without the bike wanting to stand up while on the brakes. And as has already been written - keep your focus on where you need to go on the road.

Cheers!

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Way to go Jethro --- I'm with Jethro and RVFR - assuming your not 150% and the corner is makeable, trail brake with the rear first and a little front and LEAN it! Get to neutral and positive throttle asap and focus like an arrow on a bulleye on the exit line. Then after you make it, pull over and kick yourself for being a dumbass to get yourself in that situation in the first place.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh and this is something I'm not sure that comes on in this situation, but should, a bit of counter steer along with abit of foot pressure applied to the inside footpeg, yea, try it it really speeds the get it over now thing..again this is all done more with tension, nothing to upset the chassis just more smooth pressure.

12. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Wow...thanks for all of the great replies.
    Obviously, there are many factors involved in situations like this, but it seems that the general consensus is to lightly brake with the rear, countersteer like hell, look at where you want to go, and hang on for the ride.....

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty much, now go out and pratice at a track day, worth every penny

14. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Fortunately, I'm very close to VIR (Virginia Int'l Raceway) and plan to do some track days in the spring.
    Thanks again for everyone's input !

Mike

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn, How nice is that? way... Have fun..

16. huxtablejones

huxtablejones New Member

my technique is to clamp front as hard as I can, stand the bike up, and scream like a girl. not necessarily in that order.

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

- I might add - throw your inside shoulder down into the lean too.

18. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

Um - you didnt mention crashing......

19. dsirl

dsirl New Member

This is one option. The other option is to pull over, and think, "Wow. I didn't know I could go that fast through a corner! I'm gonna try that again!" :tongue: :eek:

20. hotwheels

hotwheels New Member

Yep thats more like it.