Too Hot?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by eddievalleytrailer, Jun 3, 2007.

1. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    The fan comes on at 221F on my 07 VFR. Seems a little hot to me. I installed a fan switch on my '83. Is it a good idea to put a switch on my
    Gen 6?

2. hfam95

hfam95 New Member

Im afraid with side mounted radiators they will be that way. Its a tough engine though so I dont think you have to worry until it hits like 240-250's.

3. Jake

Jake New Member

VFRs run hot. It's perfectly normal. The little overheat bar doesn't start blinking until 250. If that happens, you'll know you have a actual problem

Don't go messing with the fan... It sucks air through the radiator while traveling under about 10 MPH and reverses to blow air above that speed. This is part of the reason VFRs usually stay relatively cool in hot weather while parked or while cruising, but tend to heat up in stop-and-go traffic.

Like I said, it's perfectly normal. Do a search. :)

HTH,
    Jake Harsha

4. winaje

winaje New Member

Hi Eddie. I was also worried when I took my '05 model for it's first run in traffic this morning. I saw the temp go to 105c (221f), and then the fans kicked in and the temp dropped to 95c (203f). The bike seemed to cycle between those 2 temps, and this was in an ambient temp of 6c (43f). Like the others said, I'd worry if it got to 120c (248f), but not otherwise...

5. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info. I'll ride easier knowing that 221F is not too hot for this engine. I guess I'm a little paranoid after seeing a friends VF700F smoke the cams when the wire controlling the fan fell off and the fan didn't come on. He didn't notice the temp gage until too late.

6. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    heat

My first bike was a 600 ninja . the heat coming off that engine was exteram compaired to the Vfr. but ya 220 + is normal. I have leather pants and it keeps the heat off just fine.:biggrin:

7. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Maybe this is why I look on at "Squids" with confusion when I see them riding thier GSXR600s and CBR600s with shorts on? I know I could never contemplate wearin' shorts on my bike for the heat alone.... :roll: