Took the Plunge on 2012 VFR1200

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by jimsproul, May 3, 2015.

1. jimsproul

jimsproul New Member

Greetings All -

After much lurking and lusting I took the plunge yesterday and bought a new standard shift 2012 VFR1200 with all the options. The dealer is installing Helibars for me and I'll pick it up in a week. I am trading in a trusty 2003 ST1300 with 113K miles on it (not all mine!) The test drive of a machine with more horses and 150 lbs less weight was stunning. I can't wait until I get in some real highway miles. 2 weeks ago I sold my 2012 CBR250R which had 10K miles on it. The riding position is about the same as the VFR I am had ridden the little CBR on a couple of multihundred mile runs so I expect wonderful rides ahead.

As for me I rode in the 1980's and 1990's a bunch, mostly all Honda. There was a 25 year gap and I got back on 2 wheels in 2012 with the little CBR. I also ride a 2006 VTX1300c with big comfy seats for when we ride two up. I have ridden the VTX 1000 miles in a weekend. I like to "go long" If all goes well I will shoot for an IBA certficate (SS1000) this fall.

I am a daily, all weather ridder (no ice). I commute about 14 miles each way. I am not a knee dragger but really like a bike that handles well. The CBR was a blast and good commuter. I ST rides like a dream and is comfortable for hours on end. For me the VFR has the right balance of technology, power and comfort. I am not sure comfort is the right word since there always is a bit of suffering in the wind, the heat, the rain, the cold and the awful stiffness you can only feel from grinning for 12 hours on a motorcycle. :smile:

I look forward to getting to know this beautiful blue machine and learn about theis community you have here.

- jim

Dallas, Texas

2. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Welcome. I love the 1200 and my only real complaint is the seat itself. If you want to go long distances i suggest you upgrade the seat.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Congratulation and :welcome:
    Don't be shy to show off your bike :rolleyes:

4. jimsproul

jimsproul New Member

vfr.jpg

This is how it looked when I found it. Saturday I go in for 600 mile service. Perfect ride so far, rain and shine.

5. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I tell ya, the more I see the 7th gens, the prettier they look. My 1200 is rapidly becoming my favorite bike ever. It just does everything so well. They only bike that comes close to the smiles per gallon would be the 5th gen. Glad you are loving the new bike!

6. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    I really like the blue, particularly as it is not very common (at least where I am). Great choice!