Toront to New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by zombie, Jul 31, 2018.

1. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Heading to somewhere (not exactly sure where) in New Hampshire this weekend with friend to visit his dad for a day or two. Leaving the Toronto area approx 5:00 AM Saturday morning, planning on riding all day till we get there that evening then heading back Monday with a possible hotel stay Monday night on the way. Any thoughts or suggestions on roads we should try to avoid or do whatever it takes to ride? Anyone to contact if we have any bike related issues? I'm on the VFR and he is on a CBR 600.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    If you run into any problems and need assistance, just give a shout out here,I’m sure out of all the members there has to be a few to lend a helping hand close by.
    Have AAA RV which gives towing up to 100 miles for bikes.
    Safe travels
    We made a list here on VFRW of people that are willing to help our brothers and sisters here but can’t seem to find the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jethro911 likes this.
  3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    duccmann likes this.
  4. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Back from the New Hampshire trip and had a blast. no pics available as my phone got wet.... it rained, a lot of rain. 4 hours of heavy driving rain into Vermont then just regular rain. My friends google maps led us onto route 58 in Vermont. Starts off as a paved road going uphill in the mountains then turns into a dirt road. That's when my friends CBR gave up. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay so we bypassed the fuel pump and gravity fed it instead. That got us to the highway at least then his electrical system gave out. Got that working and finished the trip. Left at 4AM got in at 2 AM. There was a lot of time spent fixing his bike and trying to dry out the electrical system. The ride back a day later was uneventful and a lot quicker, there was a lot of rain again though.
    My VFR ran great, not a single issue. My $25 Walmart frogtogg rain suite worked like a charm. The only issue I had was my tank bag not being remotely waterproof like I thought it was supposed to be causing my phone to get wet and not work. took it apart and dried it, working fine now.
    What I learned. Rain gear is important as is waterproof luggage, a spare pair of gloves made things a lot better when the rain stopped, bringing a spare phone was a great idea, 1100 Km in a day is doable but not preferable.

jethro911 likes this.
  5. Zapp

Zapp New Member

United States
    Map
    I’ve done the reverse trip a few times, I have family in Richmond Hill and Wisconsin (I usually travel through Ontario on my way to Wisconsin). Did you travel through Niagara Falls or Kingston to get to New England? And I know it’s too late now but if you ever get back to Vermont try Hwy 9 up to Hogback Mountain or Hwy 100, in New Hampshire there is an amazing loop through the White Mountains. You start on either side of the Kancamagus Hwy, head north on Franconia Notch Road just outside Lincoln, Hwy 3 to 302 then south through Crawford Notch Road and make sure to look for Bear Notch Road just before North Conway, extremely technical, it will eventually reconnect with the Kancamagus Hwy.

Glad you were able to sort out your friend’s bikes issues. Sorry about all the rain.

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    We actually took Hwy 401 from Guelph to the 416, South of Ottawa and crossed over at Johnstown then into NY State then over to Vermont. I know on the way back we took Hwy 93 up through the White Mountain National Forrest and it was a great road, would have turned and gone back again if we had the time. My friend plans on doing this trip a few more times next year so I will check out your suggestions then.
    I actually didn't mind the rain too much, it did make for a longer ride though. I am more prepared for next time now. I have ridden in the rain many times but not for such an extended time, that made the difference.