Tricky removal of bar end weights

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Pandemonium, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

United States
    Map
    Apparently I made a couple bad decisions that are biting me now.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the screw that holds my throttle-side bar end weight was vibrating out periodically. I've been meaning to put on beefier ones so I applied a bit of Loctite blue to the screw and put it back while I ordered a set of HVMP extra heavies.

The replacement weights are here, but when I try to loosen the screw on the end of the bar end weight, it's instead spinning the whole inner weight that it screws into inside the handlebar. I can hear the squeak of the rubber at it spins inside the bar and the screw never backs out.

Normally you would grip the bar end weight, which fits into that groove on the tip of the inside weight and would hold it from spinning. However, I also have aftermarket heated grips that have a hard plastic sheath in them that's a bit too long and keeps the end weight from interfacing with the inner weight.

I want to address all this now but can't get it apart to do so. The screw spins the inner weight and I can't get it to stop. I'd cut the extra length of the aftermarket grips that keep the bar end weight from interfacing right... if I could get it all apart to do so.

Any suggestions?

1999 VFR800Fi

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    you need to spin it quicker or grind it off.
    Put a bit in a drill to spin it quicker - otherwise its out with the dremal.

3. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks.

I was afraid of that.

First thing I tried was using a drill with a Phillips bit, but that just spun it all faster and didn't break the Loctite free.

I don't have a dremel. Maybe I can try drilling the screw head out, though I suspect the drill bit will catch and just spin it.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    lockite worked too well. :eek:

5. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

United States
    Map
    :-(

I've never disassembled the innards of the bars before so it didn't occur to me that whatever the screw went into could just spin in there. Lesson learned.

I suspect the rubber bits and metal clip that hold in the inner weight won't be in great shape once I finally get it all out, if they're not already old and corroded from all the years. I've ordered new stuff and plan to wait until it arrives before venturing further lest I get it apart and don't have replacement bits to get it back together.

And here I thought replacing my bar end weights was going to be a super quick and simple job.

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sometimes using an impact driver makes it an easy job, however you may now be in a world of hurt !

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I need new heavy bar end weights. I know there's a company the sells big heavy ones, but $78 for simple machined stainless? Uh, no.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  8. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    A 3/8" impact fitted with a Phillips bit would be worth a shot. Set it on medium or high. Put a little heat on the screw first then pull the trigger.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. PetePower

PetePower New Member

Australia
    Map
    some direct heat with one of those gas Soldering units on the screw, then the Impact driver should get the beast

10. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the tips!

I picked up an impact driver since I didn't already have one. I couldn't get it to budge the loctite free, even with some heat applied. Not sure the heat is traveling far enough down the screw to make a difference.

By wedging a flathead screwdriver between the screw and the bar end weight, I am able to apply enough prying force to get the bar end weight to come into contact with the inner weight. That means a friend can hold the bar end weight with some channel locks or similar to keep it from spinning, I can pry it into contact with the inner weight to hold it into place, and then I can turn the screw to break it free and get it out. I am waiting to do this until my order from Partzilla is delivered today because I suspect the rubber bushings and retaining clip are already degrading or are going to get mangled in the process of getting this apart and I want to have replacement parts on hand so I can get it back together. I will update in the next day or two with my progress.

11. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

United States
    Map
    That was a pain but I got it off with the above technique. Still took about 20 minutes of frustration, and the screw and old bar weight got totally mangled in the process.

The grip is now nicely trimmed to fit and the new bar end weights are installed. If the rain would quit, I'd take it for a ride.

Thanks everyone for the help!

12. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Honda made the OEM bar weight that long for a reason, it helps dampen the harmonics

My CBR600 made my fingers tingle when I swapped to a short weight, I ended up pumping the clip on full of RTV sealant which did the trick ...you might need to do the same

BTW I ended up having to drill my OEM weight out and in doing so destroyed it