TRIP REPORT: San Diego to Moab, Utah (and beyond) - 2013

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by derstuka, Oct 2, 2013.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    :wave: Howdy everybody! I hope you will accompany me on the journey that I just had. Plus grab some :popcorn: a comfy seat, and enjoy the ride!

Well, part of this trip had occurred by happenstance, and a bit of luck. I had wanted to do a solo ride to Moab, Utah, for sometime now. Last year I stopped short due to cold weather. I have been to Moab mtn biking in the past, but I wanted to explore the backroads of Utah on the old viffer, and it was a spectacular time. Best/most fun MC trip yet.

Fellow VFRW member Karen (Chicky) was kind enough to allow my smelly arse to spend the night at her place in Vegas so I could get a early (and closer start on Utah). I had originally planned on riding all day from San Diego, directly to Moab, however, I wanted some more time to play on the backroads. This worked out great, as it allowed me more rest, and much more time to explore and take more pics.

Some crappy pics of Vegas in traffic as I waited at the intersection of Flamingo and Las Vegas Blvd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left Vegas at about 5:45am, and I could still see many of the lively drunks from the night before wandering the streets happy and laughing, and quite frankly, looking lost. :lol: The ride from Las Vegas to Utah was really nice. the sun was shining, the wind was not blowing, the sky was clear, and even the road was mostly empty....as far as a freeway usually is. The day was still a bit cold, but not enough to hamper my fun.

Entering St. George, Utah with a final destination of Moab, Utah. It was my intention once I hit Utah to immediately get off the freeway (which I did) and take only backroads to Moab. I have been to Utah several times, but never on a bike, and there was still lots of backroads left for me to explore.
    [​IMG]

On way to Zion National Park. So many sights to see here you just about break your neck looking at them....and I have been here 5 times! When I rolled thru, it was Friday morning, and nary a soul was on the road. All I heard was the beautiful purring of the v4 engine, and the wind. It was truly an experience.
    [​IMG]

The lonely road ahead following by curves and beautiful sights....this was a common sight for me on Friday. The kind of sight that is truly a motorcyclists dream....at least mine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entering Zion NP. For those that have not been, it is truly a beautiful place, as is most of Utah.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Zion pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting my turn to go thru the 1.1 mile long tunnel. There are air/light gaps at certain locations, and the view out is very enticing, but you try to keep your eyes on the road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RedRock Canyon area close to Bryce Canyon, Utah.
    [​IMG]

Grabbing some chow at a diner I had stopped at in the past. Good hot turkey sandwich with tators. Temp was now at 48F degrees, so it was nice to warm up a bit. I ran into some fellow motorcyclists there. One nice couple from AZ on a nice new beemer 1200rt that were amazed at how far I had come so far that day, and even more amazed at how many miles that I had on my bike. We exchanged information, and they want me to come to AZ for them to show me from sweet roads over by Showlow and elsewhere. Great people......and besides the thrill of being on two wheels out in the open, meeting other cool motorcyclists is another reason it is such a pleasure to ride a bike.
    [​IMG]

Just east of Tropic, Utah (which was not very tropical as I passed thru), south of Staircase-Escalante National Monument. This was a Friday morning, so I basically had the road mostly to myself, as the kids are in school, tourists (most) are less, and people are workin.....yuck...just a great ride thru some beautiful scenery.
    [​IMG]

Escalante National Monument. This was truly a amazing road with such beautiful scenery. I only wish my other camera (non-iphone) was not broken so you could truly appreciate it. It is the kind of beauty that you can hardly believe is real. :love: The road wound thru (and on top of) these rock formations like a snake and it was hard to keep your eye on the road.....kinda like when you are at the beach with your lady and these hot hot hot gals walk in front of you in tiny bikinis. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On way to Capitol Reef National Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting closer to Moab. As I was getting close to Moab, I noticed some very dark clouds with funnels reaching to the ground in my path. They were far away still, but I was still thinking, hmmmmmm...I hope that CO weather I heard about is not coming my way. Well, I ending up riding right up in the heart of the beast and I hit some of the pockets of rain, however, did not get drenched very bad at all. Mostly it was rain, sun, rain, then sun all the rest of the way to Moab. I was actually very fortunate for it might have been a tad chilly at moments, however, it was almost always sunny and clear.
    [​IMG]

Approximately, a little over 500 miles later, BINGO, I made it to Moab. :party2:
    [​IMG]

Well, here I am chillin' in my hotel room, that I had, and then I get a text from Reg and Tink telling me that they are gonna crash my party. Tink informs me that they had just had holy hell of weather that they went thru in CO. They encountered hours of rain, sleet, and blinding snow. It was so bad at times, that Reggie said they could not see the outlines of the freeway. Anways, Tink informs me that Reggie is going to be 50 miles short of an ironbutt (a ride of 1000 miles or more in under 24 hours. He started at 4am in Kansas City and was gong to see how far that he could make it. I really did not expect to see him, but I told him I was going to be in Moab that weekend. So I get re-geared up, and it is not really cooling down. I discover the town 55 miles south of Moab called Monticello has only one gas station open till 11pm, and it is 9:00pm by the time that they arrive in Moab. As part of an Ironbutt, you need receipts and witness accounts to confirm you really did the ride. You submit all of your data and receipts and they either approve you or not.

That said, so I lead them down thru the pitch black lonely road to Monticello. The temp really starts to drop and is a freezing 35 degrees by the time we roll into town. The gas station that said it was going to be open is now closed, but we can still see the girl inside cleaning up. She (thankfully) gives Reggie a receipt. We turn around, and freeze our butts off riding back to Moab in the freezing black night with "caution deer" signs all around. We made it back amazing without a ticket, or a deer encounter in record time. Reggie then got anther final receipt, (see pic) and we were back to my warm hotel room.

[​IMG]

Reggie with this final receipt to submit for the IronButt Brrrrr was that night ride cold! What great friends this poseur has to ride all that way in freezing cold just so he could get his wings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back at hotel with the two drunk (very horny and sexually suggestive) chubbies at the front desk. They REALLY wanted us to party with them, but alas, we did not have enough flour for this endeavour. :xxx: I literally thought I was going to be man-raped by these horned up drunk chubbies working the front counter until Reg and Dave came in. The ole soldier just would not salute for duty on the matter.

The bikes getting all tucked in the for night at the raunchy Motel 6
    [​IMG]

End of day one....more to come.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. derstuka

Map
    Day two:

Eating at the slowest service Denny's in the world before Tink headed his arse back to CO with his wacky weather, and Reg and I headed back to stable weather California.
    [​IMG]l

Reggie leaving moab on his new (to him) F800GS. (I bet he will only ride it to Starbucks like the rest of the GS poseurs)
    [​IMG]

We then made a quick trip into Arches National Park (hint, you need to hike to see the arches). Such a beautiful place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found Reggie a little dirt road he could play on (while I watch with jealousy). He claimed that a large bird of prey swooped down on his return jaunt and darn near hit him in the helmet. I didn't see that, so let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and say "suuuuuuure Reg, I believe you, it must have been sooo scary."haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ole viffer by the "dong" National Monument. Some say it was scultped in honor of an ancient well-endowed indian chief. :unsure:
    [​IMG]

Reggie holding "the dong"....lol
    [​IMG]

On the way back thru backcountry Utah. I enjoyed it so much on the way there, I took Reggie back the way I came to Moab.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way to Moab, I remembered an ORV area, and thought to myself, maybe Reg might want to dabble in this on the way back....well, he was more than eager as you can see for yourself. Go Reg go! Sure would be nice if "somebody" asked me if I wanted a turn. :pout:

Ya'll just don't know how close I came to banking that hill on the ole viffer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me doing a native dance around the viffer in honor of the road God's.
    [​IMG]

Capitol Reef National Park. Another beautiful place.
    [​IMG]

Me heading thru some curves.
    [​IMG]

Hard to see, but some petroglyphs are on the rock wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short rest stop just outside of Capitol Reef.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up and over a 10,000 ft high mtn and some pretty fall colors already starting to change. It was funny, as at the top these free range cattle were all around in the forest. I deemed them cows of the forest, and they love to stand on to next to the road munching on some grass. Luckily, no close encounters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Escalante National Monument was truly amazing. I wish I had a better camera to take in the beauty. The road had a low speed limit, but had amazing curves. I was truly in motorcycle heaven at this point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reggie's tour guide telling him he is numero uno. Isn't that what friends are for?
    [​IMG]

Just outside of Bryce Canyon and some hoodoos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't those figures remind you of the easter island statues? So cool.
    [​IMG]

Me talking to some German tourist who was admiring Reggie's GS. Apparently, she had one, but some lady pulled in front of her and put the bike out of commision, and her in the hospital. She now rides a Triumph Tiger 800.
    [​IMG]

Getting back into Zion NP.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some adventure bike wannabe rider got caught in this photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By then we had ridden a long day, taking lots of pics, doing some offroad, and were ready for a food, beer, and a bed. We decided to crash in St George, Utah, and head out early the next morning with wherever the road may take us. For now it was :drinker:.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. derstuka

Map
    Day three:

Was pretty uneventful. Had a beautiful day of riding....even if it was mostly interstate. The canyon on 15 south thru that sliver of AZ always brings a smile to my face.

We made a quick stop in at a Vegas McDonald's, and debated going thru Death Valley. Football and resting his :ass: sounded more appealing to Reggie, so we saved it for another time. Which turned out to be a good idea, as the Vegas high was 90 that day, and DV was probably gonna be in the 100's or close to it.

We started back slabbing it home. Reggie and I parted ways around Barstow as he went on the 58 home, and stayed on the 15. I saw temps of 95+ degrees thru Riverside on the rest of the way home.....ugh. It was an awesome trip, and I am already ready for the next one. This one logged over 1700 miles for me, and it was a blast the whole time pretty much....plus, as an added bonus, no performance awards! Hope you enjoyed the show.

Me and Reg parting ways.
    [​IMG]

Keep the rubba side down!

:vtr2:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool. wish I was there.

oh wait.

5. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Great trip report Stuka, looks like you had a great time!! Utah really is beautiful and you got some really nice pics! You will be getting my bill for fumigation services for the room you stayed in. I had to have it ready for Marrib's arrival tonight... then will have to fumigate again! See you Friday!!

6. derstuka

Map

Thanks Karen! I hope that the fumigation did the trick, as I know that I am a pretty ripe fellow. Been trying to get rid of these crabs that Long gave me for years now!

See you Friday chica! Ride safe....and oh yeah, Marrib can come too, but he has to sleep in the backyard. :lol:

7. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome write-up! Thanks for sharing...I am a part-time beehive state resident, so I love it when my state gets some love! I have been to most of the places you went so I can definitely relate on how beautiful it is.

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    nice pics!

The guy I rode with wouldn't stop for fotos

9. derstuka

Map
    Sounds like the type of guy that hangs out in a Mickey D's drying his undergarments with the bathroom hand dryer. Loser. :rofl:

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ummmm. Statute of Limitations can run up to a year on some traffic violations:

See you in the future, some time, some where, some way!

interceptor174.jpg

Looked like it was a great ride Stuke. Wished I could have been there. Wished I could have rode the ride with Reg and Tink, especially Reggies full journey. ANd wished I was riding along side of Slovfr wherever he is right now.

11. derstuka

Map

Thanks. It is such a great state. I will be back again, and you can take that to the bank! Now I have the urge to get my Iron Butt wings...hmmmmmm

I was a very memorable experience Mr Officer. My best ride yet.....I am itching to do another one soon.
    It is like the ole viffer and I became one....such a good girl she is. Sniff sniff.....I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

12. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Too bad you couldn't do a longer trip :p

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Could you be more specific about the chubbies at that motel for the harleydoods starting with gender maybe?

14. derstuka

Map
    Appeared to be female gender, weight equivalent to a 25lb bag of flour times pi squared. If Reggie would have been booze hounding prior, there may have been an incident.

:xxx::ass: then later :puke:

15. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Great write up and AWESOME pics...as always!!! I would love to go on a trip like you do one day!!

16. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Chubbies need luvin' too!

17. derstuka

Map
    Thanks brotha Dave! You are welcome out at my place anytime and if you put out :boobies4: I'll even let you ride bitch on the back....you will have to wear something slutty though.

:stripper:

18. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If it's any consolation, the weather is much worse over the continental divide and in the Midwest.

19. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Gorgeous pictures, I am happy you had this chance to explore that area. I'll have to add that trip to my ever growing bucket list!

And congratulations on the no performance awards, how did you pull off that one? :lol:

20. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :hss: Joey is back. Did Randy let you out :pound: Good to see you drop by Sir :thumb:
    Any good (Running from the LEO) story?:potstir: