Tulsa Crash, ZX-6R vs Semi

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Vlad Impaler, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure if this has graced these pages before, but a friend sent me an e-mail with pictures of a rider, deceased, with his helmet stuck in the back of a semi trailer.
    I checked the source with Snopes and saw that the story was true, taking out a few of the e-mail embelishments like the guy was dragged 1/4 mile and he lived because he had his helmet on.
    Not as graphic as that Chinese video, by far, but if you don't like to see inanimate people don't open it.
    Link:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp
    Looks like a 2003/04 ZX6-R.
    Looks like from the waist up he was in decent gear.
    Must have had some loose footwear on.

The parents comments are interesting. No mention of drinking in the incident accept by them (hmmmm). Stiffer penalties for speeding motorcyclists? If I have something barreling at me at 120 MPH on the highway, I prefer a bike to a Suburban or semi.:eek:

2. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    wow, I'd say he got himself stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Imagine if you saw that semi pass you on the highway with the guy flopping around from the back. I think I'd shite myself.

Goes to show, you can't teach stupid, you just are stupid. Not sure improving speed and safety regulations would ever prevent this. Hell, just as many cars speed that fast regularly as well. Obviously the biker caused his own demise and weeded himself out of the gene pool.

3. rngdng

rngdng New Member

You can't save people from themselves, and I don't care for laws that try to "protect me". I do encourage people to learn to ride and become proficient on a small bike before buying a big, fast one. 600cc sportbikes are not beginner bikes, regardless of what the dealer tells you. Those bikes were world-class racers only a few years ago, and their potential cannot be fully utilized by mere mortals. Don't even get me started on liter-bikes!!!

Lane

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Naive family tryin' to single just the motorcyclists' out just because their son was riding like a jackass on one. Always happens...some clown gets killed for doing something stupid and they want laws made just for the stupid "illegal" thing that they were doing in the first place.

What am I trying to say? I hate hate hate, that people cannot take responsibility for their own actions....and we already have laws for speeding, and reckless driving. Own up to something if you did it, not try to penalize everybody else. Like was said, what about a suburban doing 120 down a freeway....lot bigger threat there.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  5. 29tudor

29tudor New Member

Map
    To add a little bit more info:

Some of the younger riders in the Tulsa area had an informal club they called the '169 on 169 Club' (that is 169 MPH to be in the club). There were two accidents that occurred within a week of each other, and within one mile of each other on Highway 169. Highway 169 is an 8-lane expressway is in a very busy area near large shopping malls with a 60 MPH speed limit. It was commonplace to see 100 MPH wheelies in that area. The riders seemed to believe they were immortal (They weren't).
    As for me, I like to live on the edge by being a member of the '66 on Route 66 Club'.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    this piece of psycho-terror trash has been bleeding across bike sites everywhere for months, and posting this is doing nothing useful.

i belive the scene may be faked?????

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  7. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Before I got back into riding recently, I searched for all of the info and photos I could find on the dangerous side of motorcycling. This was one of the photos I found. I have seen much more graffic aftermaths of accidents. Chunks and pieces...burnt bodies, etc. DerStukas recent Chinese video is one of them. I saw all that research as a learning tool and a way to assess the dangers in riding. I chose to ride again. I chose to not do stupid things like this poor chap. I think we all need to understand what choices we make, what ramifications poor choices have, and also understand that sometimes bad things happen to people doing the right thing. Don't hide your head in the sand and think that you are invincible. You can also die driving that "safe" cage, walking down the street or eating a good steak. We are born...we die...make smart choices in between, have some fun, and tell your loved ones what they mean to you. :blah: :blah: :blah: Ok, I'll stop now...

8. OKCVFR

OKCVFR New Member

Not fake, accident was front page news here in OKC the next day.

9. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

Darwinism at it's finest... My wife laughs at me because I still think that Darwin's theory of evolution is still at work. This is case and point: 1. too stupid to live, 2. lack of survival reflexes, 3. can't learn from others mistakes, 4. he picked the wrong people to run with or they would've told him just how stupid he really was, and 5. Stupity goes back generations he probably got it from his parents in some shape form or fashion...

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I agree 100%.

The current day mentality is that it is never your fault. Just ask any of the personal injury lawyers that are lined up just waiting to take these types of cases.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That is one of the best things I've read around here for at least......quite a while!

12. ZuluNinja

ZuluNinja New Member

yep, that photo has been going on for almost a year now, first time I saw it was on a zx forum. Helps to see it now and then to keep u in check.