Tuning a DCT?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Comberjohn, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Comberjohn

Comberjohn New Member

United Kingdom
    Only picking up my 2010 VFR1200F DCT with 18k miles at the weekend but, you know how it is.
    Not after a street racer but wondered if it's worth putting a PCV on it or getting a Guhl reflash over the winter?
    I've read about the restrictions on the manual gearbox and wondered is there anything similar on the DCT?
    Had a PCV on my GS and it worked pretty well, although the connectors were a problem keeping rain out.
    A reflash would cost much the same as the PCV, if buying new, and that's the preferred option at the moment.
    Your experiences would be appreciated.

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I am not a speed demon nor a squid that tears up the road, but I did the ECU flash and it is easily the best thing I did for my 2010 manual. The power retardation was not an issue in the beginning since the bike is such a monster, but it does become an issue when you are expecting a certain amount of power and brace for it, but it doesn't come until you start to think "WTF... maybe a little more throttle will help..." It's like a hesitation. I don't really know how to describe it, and I do not know if the DCT has the same sensation. I do know that the power restriction is there on the DCT though.

The only reason I would use a PCV would be if I needed to change between fuel maps; e.g. one for drag racing one for street use. I don't think you will be doing that. The ECU is a bit of a pain to get out, but it's not too bad.

3. Comberjohn

Comberjohn New Member

United Kingdom
    Right, have a few hundred miles under my belt now and starting to get the feel of it.
    The restriction on the first couple of gears isn't bothering me that much. By the time I look at it, it's already in third anyway.
    What I have noticed is the hunting and surging at low revs around town.
    Been here before with the GS.
    With the GS, I changed the PCV to a pair of AF XiED units from Nightrider. These modify the signal from the O2 sensors to fool the ECU into enriching the fueling slightly, particularly in the closed part of the fuel mapping.
    Tales a few hundred miles for the ECU to compensate, but makes it smoother and pulls like a train.
    I've picked up some new, old stock on eBay that is supposed to do the same for the VFR.
    It's the Rapidbike Easy from Dimsport in Italy.
    Pretty much plug and play, but wondered if anyone else had tried them?
    To install them means getting at the connectors to the O2 sensors and they appear to be around the top left of the radiator.
    I'm obviously going too have to remove the side panel but will I have to move the radiator to get at them?
    Anyone done this before?

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I am a big advocate of Rapid Bike, the Racing module (not easy nor evo) in particular, but the issues with the VFR1200 are ecu related (throttle mapping). No amount of fuel or even ignition tuning alone, will sort out this bike's problems. Get the Guhl Flash, don't even bother with power commander. If you want the fuel/ignition mapping corrected, Guhl can do that too.