turn signal won't stay on post-replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DancingMillie, Aug 2, 2009.

1. DancingMillie

DancingMillie New Member

1984 500 Interceptor

I replaced the rear turn signals with LED lights, and put a resister in so the speed of signalling is fine. I'll be changing the front ones too, eventually. Wiring is correct, signals work on both sides.

The problem - now the right turn signal will sometimes not STAY on. It works, but most of the time it won't stay on if I don't hold it over. Then sometimes it does. No problem ever with the left turn signal. :confused:

I changed the rear turn lights before riding her again after I took a tour of a ditch as I damaged the rear left one pretty badly. I will need to take the whole casing apart to either solder or replace the wire, plus I wanted to modernize the look a bit anyway. I am going to keep the lights and still repair the broken one, so I can keep it original if I ever need to choose part with her (hah... yeah right). I double checked the wiring, and two other wiring-savvy friends had a look for me too.

Does anyone have any advice where to look next? My only guess at this point is that I got some dirt in the switch when I went down? I'm not keen on holding it, nor am I keen on hand signalling if I don't have to... If I do have to take that section apart, does anyone have advice (or a link to another thread here - don't need to repost it all)?

2. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    If it works when you hold the switch over then you know all the wiring is correct, lights are fine, etc. That narrows it down to a problem within the switch housing. Open it up and give it a good cleaning. It could be some dirt or something in there as you suspect or it could be a little corrosion or a worn part.

If it is some dirt or corrosion, you are in for a simple easy fix provided that you just take your time and make everything clean again. If there is a worn part it should still be an easy fix but it might cost you a few bucks for some new parts.