Turn signals intermittently working but now not working at all

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by necker, Jun 26, 2018.

1. necker

necker New Member

United States
    Map
    For the past several months, I've been having issues with my turn signals. The left turn signals would work more often than the right, but it was intermittent. Now, they don`t work at all. I checked the 10 amp fuse and it was fine. But, when I jumped the turn signal relay, it blew the fuse. I looked over the wiring harness and there was no obvious signs of kinks or damage. I looked at a wiring diagram and it shows there is a turn signal position relay somewhere. Could that be a possibility? I cleaned the turn signal switch with electrical cleaner, but I don`t know how to test to see if it works properly. Also, I`m not sure if it is related, but the 30 amp fuse next to the battery is melted but still working. The transparent inline fuse connector itself is not melted, but it is a little dark. I`m still trying to figure out what fuse it is. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Given you had an intermittent fault that got worse, I'd say you have some corrosion in connectors as the cause. The melted fuse holder is also telling me the same thing, as corrosion=resistance =heat when current is flowing. You don't specify which model VFR you have, but a real problem area can be the alternator-RR connector of the 5 and 6G, and the common earth block on the 6G.

I'd suggest that you start by stripping the bodywork off and pulling apart ALL of your electrical connectors, cleaning them, and then adding some corrosion prevention e.g. dielectric grease or similar.

Diving Pete, Lint and necker like this.
  3. necker

necker New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow dude. You were exactly right. The first connector I cleaned was the one behind the left fairing coming straight from the switch and it started working. I thought it had a good connection because I checked it with an ohm meter but cleaning it made it work again. I`m going to go ahead and clean and dielectric grease all of the connectors. I live near the ocean so the salty air seems to corrode everything.

Sorry for not including this in the first post: I have a 2004 (Gen 6) Honda VFR800 interceptor with 30,000 miles.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Must be a record solving an electrical problem on the 1st post with hardly anything to go off of. lol

4. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    Mine is 2002 that had a recall to replace wiring harness due to inadequate grounds at connectors, something like that, but I had already ran into related problems with electrical system so fixed myself, that same big connector on left and where possible ran extra ground wire around connectors and tied into the frame, and extra grounds on lights, but just went all led and flasher and load seems less now. Hopefully they fixed that before 2006?

5. RRloves2RRIDE

RRloves2RRIDE New Member

United States
    Any recommendations on LED conversion? I have to start the disassembly and cleanup process tonight :-/