Uh oh... Rear shock adjustment problem on 1995 vfr 750f!!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by MadInterceptor, Jan 15, 2022.

1. MadInterceptor

MadInterceptor New Member

United States
    Hello. I was just tinkering around with my suspension setup, and here’s the deal:

First of all, from the start, my rear shock has always been missing the color coded indicator decals or whatever it is supposed to have to let you know when you're at the standard setting position. At least, ever since I bought the bike used from the second owner a few months ago, anyway.

So, I have never done a whole lot with the suspension adjustments before. But I have been realizing I think the sag situation is not ideal for me, so today, my plan was to tighten it all the way up, and then back it out from there and count the total number of turns available in the range, cut that in half, and start there to see how it would feel, and then eventually get a buddy to help me measure and make sure I get it to about that magical 33mm we are always looking for...

Except everything went bad for me when I got just about all the way clockwise on the adjustment... And then all of a sudden the wrench felt weird and loose and lost its grip. Upon closer inspection, it looks like I've sunken the little hex bolt in flush, or even beyond flush, with something, and now I can't actually get in there with any socket I own and actually get a hold on that hex bolt to start going counterclockwise and back it out of there.

What can I do now? I mean, I don't even want to ride this thing the way it is. I loved this bike and now I dread having to find out how THIS is going to feel if I can't remedy this problem ASAP. It's my only vehicle and my city is NOT exactly pedestrian-friendly, plus the bus drivers are on strike and they've cut all kinds of bus routes. It's a nightmare.

Please help me, somebody??

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Get your best needle nose pliers and try to get some movement with two opposing sides of the hex. Some duck nose pliers might be best of you have some and they are thin enough to get down in the recess.

Maybe some weight on the bike might actually help the hydraulic preload to back off too.

You can also try grinding the outside diameter of a 1/4" socket in the right size to get down in there too.