US Army PolarTec winter bibs- dirt cheap on E-bah

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DeeBee, Dec 15, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

http://m.ebay.com/itm/370952733811
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/370952733811

Bought 4 pairs of small long for $17 including $10 combined shipping would have been $8.50 for line pair shipped.

They have all sizes S-2XL(iirc) in short regular or long lengths. Of course I bought long length for riding.

$1.72 per pair -$7.xx per pair plus shipping what a steal.
    There are other places offering these bibs but this was definitely one of the least expensive.

Enjoy.

Db

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One section of the copy states the garment is to be worn underneath cold weather clothing. In another paragraph the opposite is stated. In the garment shown I do not see the garment as being a bibbed piece. The ad copy is sort of vague as to whether the garments are new or have been used.

Maybe post a review if yours work as advertised.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    yo, I have those, I use em under the rain gear. Very nice

4. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Seems that they were all either new or issued but not worn, pretty common of gummy surplus stuff, didn't notice about the bibbed part. Will check and make sure I gave the right link as the same place might be selling both for a similar price w/ a similar as.

5. Badbilly

United States
    The A in ATGATT must stand for Army when it rains.

6. Badbilly

United States
    If the material is like "Polarfleece", I may order a pair or two.. I'll check with a nephew who is in Alaska for advanced Ranger stuff.

7. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I believe that is what polar-tec is known for ....polar-tec is polar fleece just like Kleenex is a tissue.

Did look further into sizing and the bibs or pants question. Definitely bibs, also long versions are for an inseam of 32.8-34.? Inches. Since my inseam is normally 31" the long size should fit just right when riding.

Mine shipped out today, I imagine once I ordered small bibs they will probably work best as a mid-upper layer (over my thermals, street clothes, but under any coats or windbreaker pants. Don't know much about the polar fleece but it might be OK without windbreaker pants on top, just depends on how wind resistant they are, and how cold it is.
    Anything you guys find out for sure especially through anyone who has worn them let me know, as I really only "know" what little bit I have read recently.

8. Badbilly

United States
    Kleenex is what is given away at Harley Dealerships after a new buyer gets his first service bill.

Polarfleece by itself is not a great windbreaker. I have a non bike jacket that has a water resistant shell, a Goretex center and a Polarfleece liner.

The pants shown look comfortable and might be good for just laying around watching TV. Oprah re-runs or the fast guys..

9. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

At less than $5 a pair , I can live with not being all to wind resistant. Just having something that seals off the air from coming straight up past your boots should help , definitely cheaper than a $260 air tec lower fairing set that should help keep some air off your legs and feet. :greedy_dollars:

Time will tell they should be here by Christmas.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Maybe Santa will bring you some Gerbings heated stuff.

11. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Lol , I been a bad bad boy Santa will probably bring me a smelly sock full of reindeer poop.

On a positive not my polartec stuff arrived today definitely made to be a mid layer (over your clothes) but under coveralls or maybe a pair of windbreaker style pants.
    They are super warm , the material they are made of is like a dense thick soft snuggle or semi-plush blanket material. The bib part is not really what I expected it comes up to about the bottom of my ribcage, rather than the top of my chest or shoulders like regular bibs. They have a 2 way zipper up front and a full length zipper on either side for easy on/off .
    As a mid layer they should be awesome ,not so as a top layer. I am going to scotch guard mine, and wear them under windbreaker pants or rain pants if it's wet.

They are nice and long and don't even offer to come up when fully bending my knees.

Still a really good deal , but not much good as a top layer. Under a loose fitting jeans or to add insulation to uninsulated rain, windbreaker pants, coveralls etc. they are just what the doctor ordered.

I am going to scotch guard the crap out of mine to help with wind /water resistance.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, they are the real polar tech- fleece. only thing weird with em is, but understand why, is they run short due in part to the boots the army guys wear, so they don't come all the way down like i was thinking they would, probably a good 2" shorter than the norm. Talk about what we call high wader style, but man are they comfy,

13. Badbilly

United States
    For the price it was a good deal..Mil Spec stuff is usually good. I had a USMC field jacket that lasted until it died. One feature was insulated pockets for clips. Same thing for jump boots. Almost had to take them out and shoot them.

Save up your pesos for some of the really great bike wear by Aerostitch. Same thing, hard to wear out.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea that's one thing the Government military wise is, they tend not to hold back on their outfits. I buy their rain gear gore tex made to take a beating and pockets that work, zipper and snaps that stay put, great stuff. it was when I was looking for them in a size is how i tripped over these, going through a bundles of gear. no order to it at all. crazy, army surplus is a hoot. One thing the rain gear is, is breezy drafty, so the bib work great. They have polar tech tops too, but couldn't find one in my size at the time. makes me think maybe I should make a trip there again. Their cold weather gear is great too.

15. Badbilly

United States
    For a good selection of "Polarfleece" type wear check out REI in Seattle. There is also a couple of loft shops there that sell yardage, patterns ect. Some of the REI merch is over the top.. Camp cookware made of titanium.

I have a copy of a Mil-spec survival manual. The paper is fireproof..

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes. Mil spec gear is over the top cool.I've been in REI, nice stuf but can get, if found, better items at the surplus for a whole lot less and in some cases as most often its better quality if you find your size. in that is the trick.

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Probably a good thing to buy for CO huh J ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Badbilly

United States
    Thanks, I know my size.