Use of Language

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by WhiteKnight, Apr 5, 2008.

1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Folks,

I find I must once more post a reminder that this is anopen forum where persons of any age might be viewing or reading what is posted here, including children who may be viewing with a parent. While the majority do a good job of watching what they say with regards to profanity, some are not so good. Today, two posts were reported for profane language. While I am not perfect and use profanity in everyday life, I do not do so here out of respect to others.

The Admins and Mods on this forum prefer to have a setting where we all can speak our minds. We do not, at least I do not, want to be in a position of having to sensor what is said in this forum. I will however state this. When you post, please think of the 7 words that are not allowed to be used on national television and apply those rules here.

If you are unaware of those 7 words, George Carlin did a nice little routine on them and so a google search should turn it up just fine.

Thanks,

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Soarry. I'll try harder.

3. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

:yield: Can you give us a hint as to what those 7 words start with?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    What 7 words, have you heard REAL kids talking lately? Or a rap video?

I WILL damn well write POPPYCOCK ! when i want!
    And FRIGGIN! too.

5. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    In my old forum software I had a word Cencor... Anytme someone used the "S" word it replaced it with "PooP" and the "F" word was replaced with "Frack" I even had slanderous words so if someone called another member "Queer" or used the more derogitory versions it changed it to "Pumpkin" it got to a point that most of my members thought it even more comical to call someone a "pumpkin" anyway and slowly they actually began using the replaced words...

You guys may want to consider downloading the mod for that... if they make it for this forum...

6. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    K, Ill try to keep it clean :stripper: :behindsofa:

7. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry about that, wasn't aware of the language policy. I'll keep it clean, gosh darn it!

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    fair enough:biggrin:

9. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    My first reaction was annoyance, as I find some subject matter and attitudes much more annoying than the language one chooses to express themselves. Profanity, or terminology of any kind, can be overused or misused to the point of being useless.

On the other hand, profanity is a particularly effective way to get a point across. I suspect that every spoken language has some sort of "foul words" that takes the place of either an exclamation point, or a whole lot of other words, while speaking or writing.

I suppose I should just get over it, but this just doesn't sit right with me.

10. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Profanity is just an out when one may have a limited vocabulary or does not know how to converse in a positive way. My opinion is that if you want to get your point across, state facts and show proof. Sure I have been known to use those words more frequently in my younger days but usually its do to frustrations and not being rational. Posting on forums without name calling and use of profanity will only help in your goal to be respected and accepted. Im no angel from being sarcastic and I have even deleted and edited my post a few times. We are sometimes in bad moods and like everyone it reflects with those who we interact with.
    We are all here for a few common traits, likes and ideas. We ride motorcycles, we want to gain and share knowledge, we want to talk to others with similar interest and maybe gain new friends. I try to keep it on an even keel and not be too personal. There is no reasons to have post that have name calling, personal attacks for the posters own enjoyment, frequent abuse of language and responses that have stupid remarks about the other posters.
    I for one will report those I find offensive and do by best to keep this board the friendly, informative and unmolested, just the way I found it 2 years ago. Brian

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    OK, so I'm sitting in church(which is an offensive term to some) today and the pastor starts talking about profane speech. Not just the words one uses, but the manner in which they are used. There is a well known phrase(in some circles) that states 'out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.'
    I have a foul mouth. I realise it often stems from my unsavory thoughts and course feelings. It appears I have some work to do.

Just thought this an interesting coincidence(if you believe in that sort of thing).

12. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Guess I'm having one of those days...

It just seems like more of the, "Majority need to change so the minority won't suffer" that seems to be so prevalent in modern society. I realize that is not the intention, but today I don't want to hear it. Given the current state of the world, "profanity", as it is deemed by some, does not show up on my radar or my list.

I'll come back later when I feel like being accommodating. Might take a while unless the "mellowing with age" kicks in soon...

13. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    Git' em' Lgn! Good point about the majority needing to change for the minority as to not offend. People need to chill, seems people today are so easily offended, I will follow the rules tho.

14. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I am not offended by other's language. The point is, there are family people here who have kids reading over their shoulders while they surf(me included). I had no problem scrolling past the harsh stuff when the young 'uns where around. The MODs aren't asking you to change, only to temper your typing out of respect for your fellow man. If you wish to continue to use colorful euphamisms in your daily speech, feel free.

15. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    I know drewl! Ima family guy myself, and no I dont use "profanity" in my home aroud the young uns. Just stirring the pot, rebel rousing. I said Ill follow the rules.

16. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I am very guilty of crappy language. I have had that pointed out recently from a few different directions. So, I guess I'll try to do better.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Here's my take on it. I am very bad about cursing. I used to be even worse when I was in the military, I generally don;t censor anything I see typed up here except the F word. I don;t know why but that one has always seemed worse to me even though I use it quite frequently and still consider myself to have an above average vocabulary. It just rolls off the tongue so easily. As far as the software goes, yes we could censor words with it... We just have chosen not to. Michael, Vinny, and I have talked about it before and we felt it best to let everyone just kind of handle themselves. It seems that the regulars do a pretty good job letting each other know if they are offended. If you slip up and drop the occasional curse word, don't sweat it. If it gets to the point where your posts are more about the profanity than substance, then I'm sure everyone would say something...