V4 vs V5

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Spensersdad, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Spensersdad

Spensersdad New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope this is the right place for this.

Back in '05 Honda's answer to the new four stroke MotoGP formula was the 990cc V5 RC211V.
    Then in (I think) '07 the formula was changed to 800cc, and HRC built the V4 RC212V.
    So now we've changed to a 1000cc formula and HRC's RC213V is a V4 .

I don't remember ever reading why HRC didn't go back to a V5 with the switch to 1000cc. Did the new formula specify a maximum of four cylinders?

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Good question. Will be interested to hear from someone who knows for sure why. But i would guess with the advancement in electronics since 05 they have learned how to put the power to the ground. Because i dont think they are lacking in the horsepower department anymore. Last i heard they were in the 280hp range. Boy would love to ride one of those hondas.

3. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Rules....

On December 11, 2009, the Grand Prix Commission announced that the MotoGP class would switch to the 1,000 cc motor limit starting in the 2012 season. Maximum displacement will be limited to 1,000 cc, maximum cylinders would be limited to four, and maximum bore would be capped at 81 mm (3.2 inches).

4. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

In addition,

However, the number of cylinders employed in the engine determines the motorcycle's permitted minimum weight; the weight of the extra cylinders acts as a form of handicap. This is necessary because, for a given capacity, an engine with more cylinders is capable of producing more power. If comparable bore to stroke ratios are employed, an engine with more cylinders will have a greater piston area and a shorter stroke. The increased piston area permits an increase in the total valve area, allowing more air and fuel to be drawn into the engine, and the shorter stroke permits higher revs at the same piston speed, allowing the engine to pump still more air and fuel with the potential to produce more power, but with more fuel consumption too. Presently four-cylinder engines appear to offer the best compromise between weight, power, and fuel consumption as all competitors in the series use this solution in either 'V' or in-line configuration.

Weight limits according to cylinder count. (2010 - not sure if the weights have changed for 2012/2013)
    2-cylinder 135 kg (300 lb)
    3-cylinder 142.5 kg (314 lb)
    4-cylinder 150 kg (330 lb)

5. Spensersdad

Spensersdad New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah ha! :smile:

6. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Honda tricked the MSMA when they went to four strokes. Honda was writing the rules (more or less back then and still to a degree today) and snuck in the 5 cylinder having the same weight penalty as a 4 cylinder on the original 990's. This gave them an advantage. Honda also pushed for the reduction to 800cc's because they had a midget in the pipe (dani pedrosa) and thought this would give them yet another advantage. First year of the V5 was 2002, last year was 2006. When the 800's came in 2007, along with them saw a big increase in electric nannies that exists to this day. Electronics have reduced the rider difference and wheelies, burnouts, and general tire smoking has gone away. I can't say the racing has been ruined but without Valentino, Marquez, and RIP Marco Simoncelli, hard passing has become a thing of the past. Would love to see that V5 back racing with the minimal TC it had. The racing was more enjoyable on the 990's.

7. Spensersdad

Spensersdad New Member

United States
    Map
    After seeing Sunday's GP, I think "hard passing" may be on a comeback!

8. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

I thought the Pedrosa/Marquez/Rossi battle was relatively clean. Nicely timed and executed passes....

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Yeah like they made those weight limits fair then, 15kg saving for a 2 cylinder, or have a 4 cylinder with Danny Pedrosa on it !!!!!

10. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I miss the days of rainey, shwantz and doohan riding just to hang onto those beasts. But i still love watching the racing of today. Watching rossi come from behind was awesome. Just wished he had, had more time to catch lorenzo for the win. Gotta love moto gp

11. Spensersdad

Spensersdad New Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely. Marquez especially, was verrry careful to make a clean pass on his teammate. The Rossi/Marquez passes and re-passes showed a fair amount of aggression though.