Valve/idling issues? Serious or not?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Cr250 rider, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Cr250 rider

Cr250 rider New Member

Map
    Hi I have a 1986 vf 400 and i've had it for about 2 years now. The only problem i still have with it is an idling problem. Now the thing is the bike idles just fine until a little after half way in the temperature gauge. Much past that and the rpms just slowly drop from what would be normal idle after your not touching any throttle anyways they drop until the bike stalls. Now from the wisdom that i've managed to gather from the local vf/vfr guru at my local shop he thinks that one of the valves are slightly out of adjustment which make sense since valve clearances do vary as the motor gets hot. Now other than this the bike runs great all around. My dilemma is the when I asked this guru how serious it was and if i needed to get it fixed he was kinda vague. Now from his response I'm guessing that it's not all that imperative and the only reason he didn't out and out say no was because well he's a mechanic of course he's going to try and get work for his shop. Anyways I thought a 3rd opinion from one of the vf/vfr guru's here would be great and so here i am. So ya any ideas/ opinions would be much appreciated thanks :biggrin:

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I say check them ASAP. If you have no base line for the maintenance of the engine and have this issue on such a rare animal you need to come to speed and rest easy at night aboot it. I would not ride it again until done. Taking in consideration the rarity of the beast I would go over it with a fine tooth comb from head to......hehehe.....TOE.

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    +1

Best to inspect the valve train and set the valve lash before putting more miles on the clock.