VF1000R Exst Collector box removal

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by straycat, Oct 8, 2018.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Guys, any tips on removing the rusted seized on collector box from the rear header pipes ????, the clamp bolts are rusted beyond the point of being able to loosen them.

making matters worse the front header pipe collars (that fasten the header to the heads vie the studs) are stuck as well

My idea is as follows and im looking to see if anyone has a better idea, I need it off for engine removal. I have a replacement set of pipes/collector etc for it so damage to pipes and collector is of no concern.

-Saws-All the front header pipes off - ill dremel the aluminum collars off the studs when the engine is out.
    -support the collector /bike on a jack to relieve weight off rear suspension
    -remove the rear suspension linkage and shock so I can access the rear pipe clamps more easily
    -use a Dremel or saws-all to cut the clamps off.
    -re attache the rear suspension linkage
    -remove the jack and pull off the collector box

anyone got an easier idea that ive overlooked ????

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Probably is what it will take if you have already been soaking with PB Blaster for the last month and then tried applying heat with a torch before trying to loosen. Heat is always your friend in a situation like this. I have thought, "No fucking way" before PB and heat they came right off.

You might cut front headers so you don't break the studs off and then with a large breaker bar overcome the rear clamp bolts so they break, and will take the pressure off. With liberal PB you should then be able to rock back and forth aggressively and get it started to slide down and come off.

I've done some TERRIBLE ones and have never had to cut, but did have to purposely break the rear clamps.

3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, yea, PB blaster and heat have done nothing ( could only get heat to the left side though ) , of course the bolt heads are SNAFU anyway, there was little to grip.

how did you break the rear clamps? what did you use to get in there that had sufficient strength ? what did you lever on ?

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    My bolt heads were still in good enough shape to use a 6 point socket, some extensions and a long breaker bar to just snap the bolts.

Sounds like you're removing the shock.

But once you cut the front headers you still might get enough movement to start banging it down and off. A lot of times those rear clamps didn't have very much grip.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Good point, I was wondering if it may drift free once the front pipes are cut.

I just ordered a flexible extension for my dremel, may negate the need for pulling the rear suspension and re installing and then pulling it again later.

Next weekend's job I guess.

thanks for the tips Capt.

6. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    The only way I managed this with a seized on collector on a VF500 was to remove the shock, which is easy on a 500, no idea on a 1000R, and get a long stout piece of wood pushed vertically down onto the collector and then hit it with a large sledge hammer. It split the steel of the collector before it broke free. And I hit my hand, the pain....

Captain 80s likes this.
  7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, ill see if i can cut the clamp bolts with a Dremel first, I may have to resort to more drastic measures if that fails

8. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I should have said I had managed to remove the clamps before I started beating it.

9. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Finally got it all off. Lots of cutting and grinding to remove it without damaging the studs in the head. what a mess. the collector was rotted at the rear pipe attachments anyway, so no great loss. P1100344.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Excellent!