VF1000R rear shock seal

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by josephvh, Jul 28, 2018.

1. josephvh

josephvh New Member

United States
    Map
    Short version:
    I'm trying to find a seal for the 1000R rear monoshock. It's Honda p/n 91257-mc7-003. Everywhere I've looked its NLA. I did find it on "2040 parts" but that place might be a scam/phishing site from what I've read. Does anyone have a stash or know where I can buy one? I've also been looking at hydraulic seal suppliers and might have a workable option but I rather buy an OEM seal if I can. I know Showa made the shock but it looks they they don't offer this seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Long version:
    I'm coming back to the forum (and motorcycles in general) after a long hiatus. I've had other things going on but am finally in a position where I can finish restoring my 1000R. At some point I'll make a build thread but that will have to wait until I'm making enough progress to make somewhat interesting posts.

I know from the Honda service manual that the rear monoshock is rebuildable to the extent of replacing the seal and fluid. I have no indication my shock is leaking but I'd rather replace the seal and fluid just in case since I'll have it out anyway. I will most likely eventually get the forks updated with emulators and a rear shock from Daugherty. That being said, I'm a glutton for punishment and would like to keep the suspension stock for now for the "experience" factor. I never got a chance to put many miles on this bike and I feel like I owe it a chance.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Captain 80's outta know !

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I think I have these parts, new in their original packaging. I'll see if I can dig it up before my shoulder surgery. I don't think I will ever "rebuild" one these boat anchors (again). We did a couple at the shop back in the day.

CASE, GUIDE
    52472-MC7-003

OIL SEAL (65X80X10.5)
    91257-MC7-003

RING, BACK-UP
    52477-MC7-013

BTW, there is a double lip seal that is made with the same dimensions except it is 10 mm thick, not 10.5.
    Put the dimensions into this site.
    https://www.123bearing.com/section-seal-rotary-shaft.php

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  6. josephvh

josephvh New Member

United States
    Map
    Guess my notifications aren't working. Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in some of the the parts you have Captain 80. It makes sense to replace everything I can. At this point rebuilding the shock is pretty much academic. I have been debating about just buying a modern replacement but I want to at least try to rebuild the original one. If you find them shoot me a PM with a price with shipping. I'm in no real rush since I've got a lot left to do.

I found this listing as well. I mentioned it in the original post. From what I've read that website isn't exactly trustworthy.

That's the one I found on a hydraulic supplier website. Don't know if the 0.5mm would make a huge deal but I guess I could make a shim if I went that route.