VF500 Interceptor/Magna crankcase gasket questions

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Boesjhoar, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Boesjhoar

Boesjhoar New Member

Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

Still working on my engine swap. Engine works on 4 cilinders again, but the rpm will not go down quickly after revving a bit. Probably small vacuum leak between carb and engine.

On-topic: I put a Magna engine in an Interceptor bike, without any big issues. But I found out the right hand engine side cover leaks oil. It's literally dripping. Anyway, I want to order a new gasket, but most of them I can find around here (Europe, Netherlands/Germany border) say Interceptor. Do these paper gaskets also fit Magna engines? I don't know the fabrication year of the engine and some suggestions for placing the gasket are always welcome, for example dry installing or with some bearing grease or liquid gasket on one/both sides... different answers on different forums.... #Help

thanks in advance

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I am pretty sure the alternator and the clutch cover on the Magna (VF500C) and Interceptor (VF500F/F2) are interchangeable.
    I don't use anything except the gasket. I do make sure the mating faces are as clean as possible.

3. Boesjhoar

Boesjhoar New Member

Netherlands
    Just with a cloth and some brake cleaner? and carefully scratch off the liquid gasket which was applied before?

4. Boesjhoar

Boesjhoar New Member

Netherlands
    and can I tilt the bike flat on the side when removing the case or will I still lose a lot of oil? Or do I need to drain and refill afterwards?

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I use those green scourer pads you can get for cleaning pots and pans. For the really stubborn bits I use a very sharp blade like a scalpel. If you try to tilt the engine and it works let me know. I have never been brave enough to try it!

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    You can change a right hand crankcase gasket by just putting the bike on the sidestand with the oil in it.

7. Boesjhoar

Boesjhoar New Member

Netherlands
    I'm back guys! Had some thesis work to do last week and was waiting for the gasket. Finally it arrived and I've placed it. And thanks captain 80s for the tip about the side stand. Although I've strapped the bike to the roof beam to be sure. But it was not necessary, as you can see ;)
    @ Jeremy, side stand will work IMO. The last picture shows a little piece of gasket stuck to the engine. This is where it leaked. I haven't tested it yet but it will be alright. Cheers, Mark!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk