VF500 ticking and clacking

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by prelude222, Nov 19, 2016.

1. prelude222

prelude222 New Member

United States
  2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check in search for "VF500 valve problems". How many miles on the little bitch ?

3. prelude222

prelude222 New Member

United States
    Lol. Little bitch has 30k on her. Always ran fine and quiet. Started up suddenly all at once about 100 miles ago

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to say, but a sudden noise usually means she's about to blow up like so many other VF500s have over the years, dropping a valve and holing a piston. :sour: :mad: :shame:

Time to pull the valve covers and measure clearances and inspect things. A chain tensioner problem doesn't just start suddenly.

5. flattrack

flattrack New Member

United States
    I would put my money on a failed rocker pad. The flash plating wears through and they get dished real quick. My '85 went from quiet to noisy in about 3 miles. You can find lots of threads on cam/rocker failure. You are looking at replacing rockers and maybe cams. Most people find used parts. Cams can be reground. Hardfacing can be done on both rockers/cams but is pricey. No one wants to shell out that kind of cash for these old bikes.

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I would not start it again. Best to disassemble, locate the problem, and repair before irreparable damage is done.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Ya know, that makes a lot of good sense! Especially any old rusty dented-tank scratched-up ancient VF (except the 1kR) that needs new tires you just bought for $350 that hadn't run right since Reagan was president and not for the previous 10 years with big expectations like so many before you. :blue:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  8. jrodrims27

jrodrims27 New Member

United States
    Map
    that sounds pretty bad, did anyone pull both valve covers to see if maybe one or more of your valve adjuster screws came off? It happens. Otherwise, I don't think that's a CCT issue. Bent valve or broken valve spring maybe? Have you check for metal dust in the oil for possible rod bearing going maybe? I just had a valve drop on my recently rebuilt 84 which ruined that engine, no warning signs on that one. Do you rev the heck out of it? 30 years+ is really way more than these bikes were designed to live but a few of us love the punishment of trying to keep them breathing with our wallets thinning.

I did have a similar noise pop up on mine and it was a loose intake boot... probably not the case if you haven't messed with the carbs lately but that or an exhaust leak could possibly sound similar to that and are most definitely worth checking before tearing everything apart or junking the bike.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Do you remember how many the rpms the engine was turning when the noise started ?

10. prelude222

prelude222 New Member

United States
    I never bring it above 7-8k rpms