VF500F Crb Rebuild Kits

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DayoTallymon, Sep 27, 2020.

1. DayoTallymon

DayoTallymon New Member

United States
    Hello All,
    A few years ago I bought a derelict 1985 VF500F Interceptor. It is in fairly original stock condition as far as the engine, exhaust and carbs go.
    I am finally getting around cleaning and rebuilding the bike and I'd really like to hear back from some of you that have personal experience rebuilding the carbs on these bikes because the project has me a bit intimidated.
    Is a Billy's Out Back rebuild kit the way to go?
    And if so, there are too many choices to pick from so which do I choose: Basic, Super or Mega rebuild kit?
    Thanks!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i've rebuilt quite a few VF500 carbs for members here, and i'm sending you a pm.

3. TimKVF500F

TimKVF500F New Member

United States
    I am as cheap and lazy as the next guy but with carbs it really pays to do them right the first time. I would get the kit with everything and do the o-rings in between the carbs. Do a bench test with a fuel supply and bench sync since there are a pain to get off. Get new intake boots, new OEM are $10 each.

It really depends on your personal experience and confidence level, what other carbs have you successfully rebuilt? These V4 are more complex and I wouldn't suggest them to a beginner unless you have patience and aptitude to work through a challenge. If you just want to get it running, I would send them off.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions, thanks, Tim

4. BoomerDave

BoomerDave New Member

United States
    Did mine this summer and had to wait a while to get my kit from China, not many listed on Amazon or Fleabay that have the correct bowl gaskets, if squirrelman has a good source recommend you take him up on it. Fuel rail o-rings require you to disassemble the carb bank, expert level work, in my opinion. I cheated and fixed my fuel rail leak with a smear of J.B.Weld. Bench synching is fine but in my limited experience, synching with the carbs installed is more precise, a pain to do but it can be done with enough swearing. The rubber insulators (boots) are simple short cylinders on these bikes, mine were okay enough to re-use, did not know they could be had cheap, would get new ones next time, if there is a next time.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    float bowl gaskets can be made from viton O-rings, size-041 @ about $2/each.