VF500F with CBR600F Fork Sliders

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by invisible cities, Nov 16, 2009.

1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried or given some thought to switching out the stock V500F fork sliders for CBR600F Hurricane fork sliders.

Of course you would still have the anti-dive issue but this switch would allow for the installation of the Hurricane's larger rotors and lighter calipers while still keeping the longer (as required for clearance) VF500F fork tubes.

Many thanks!

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting post. My fork sliders have some minor damage where the dust wipers are. Probably from someone strapping the bike down without using their brain first.

I understand that the 500 seals are hard to come by and are discontinued so I've been wondering if there was an alternative that might make more sense.

3. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    fork sliders

A friend of mine has a spare set of CBR600F Hurricane forks in the parts bin. If I can locate an inexpensive set of VF500F fork tubes I'm up for giving it a go. This gets around the sticky wicket of needing the longer stock fork tubes to allow for the front fender to clear the radiator - when the forks are at full compression.

4. Jakobi

Jakobi New Member

Hmmm...I just bought a set of CBR600F forks, triples, and brakes. I was going to try using them on a CX500 but I may have to look in to this as well. Could be interesting. Would make a CBR wheel swap a lot easier. I assume you would have to use the CBR triples for this to get the correct spacing.

-Jake

5. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    triple tree

No need - you can use the stock VF500F upper and lower triple trees without modification.

6. Jakobi

Jakobi New Member

You're saying that fork spacing between the CBR600F and VF500F is the same then? (I haven't checked this)

-Jake

7. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    17" wheel

Yes.

The CBR600F's 17" diameter wheel will mount, without modification, to the stock VF500F forks.

On a side note - the CBR600F2 wheel requires machining of the rotor mount surfaces to allow the wheel to work with the spacing of the stock VF500F calipers.

The caveat here is that when upgrading to the CBR600F's 17" wheel the VF's stock fork sliders require you to use the stock rotors (which are a smaller diameter than the CBR600F's) to work with the calipers (unless you machine custom caliper carriers - which are very labor intensive to make).

If CBR600F fork sliders will work on the longer VF500F fork tubes you will then be able to mount the wheel, the rotors and calipers from the CBR600F - without the need to machine custom caliper carriers, if you are looking to use the Hurricane's larger cross drilled rotors & lighter calipers.

8. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Why, I'll do you one better!!!!

http://vfrworld.com/forums/buying-selling/27121-free-vf500f-thats-right-absolutely-free.html

Something else to keep in mind is that the internal parts may or may not work well together. The damping rods control the stroke and overall length of the forks, if they do not fit correctly in the CBR sliders then you are back to square one.

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    There ya go invisible, you go get the fork tubes and give it a shot. I'll take the stock VF500 sliders off of ya. Those white sliders would look nice on my bike :biggrin:

10. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    core parts

Thank you for your very generous offer but I only need a rear wheel hub (I need this for a few dimension double checks, per my other thread) and the fork tubes (to try out the CBR600F sliders) so this rolling chassis is probably best reserved for someone who would like to use as a base for a new restoration.

5x5 on the internals - I don't know if this conversion will work but I did think it might be a way to get those larger cross drilled CBR rotors on without having to machine custom carriers, which I understand to be pretty time consuming on the milling machine.

11. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

I'm prototyping a set of caliper brackets right now that would allow the use the of the stock forks, calipers and wheel but the larger F/F2 rotors. I've got my CNC guy pretty backed up with other stuff right now so I'm not sure when he will have them ready. They are pretty complicated parts so I'll most likely need a couple of design iteration loops before they are ready. Not sure what the final cost will be yet but it probably won't be terribly cheap.

12. chiefmg

chiefmg New Member

You could just bolt up a set of CBR600F2 forks/triples and have done with it. Did that on my former racebike, made quite a difference.

13. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    clearance

I had thought of this but quickly ruled it out as I understand there are some serious clearance issues - though you did mount these - so maybe I'm mistaken. From what I have garnered the F2 fork tubes are shorter than the stock VF500F's and because of this the front fender can hit the radiator when the forks are at full compression. If you don't mind me asking, did you check this when you mounted the F2's - at full compression, from stop to stop?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  14. chiefmg

chiefmg New Member

Yes I checked it all. Raced it like that with no problems. I am not sure where the information came from that the swap won't work, because in my experience it does. It bolts right up. I had to move the fork legs up in the triples some to make up for the difference in height with the 17" front. I ran across at least one other person who was racing with this, in fact he was the one who told me it could be done. I also have the 600F2 rear wheel, made up my own spacers and had a machine shop take off the necessary material from the brake mount and sprocket carrier.

I know it's kind of small, but my avatar is a picture of the bike after all that work was done. It also has an RVF750 front fairing with an RC30 tail.

15. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    F2

Well this is interesting news this morning - and to boot you've moved the fork tubes up which would reduce the clearance even more. Did you modify the rear shock length (to increase the height) and do you know what rake & trail you are running?

Any chance for a few larger photos? I'd like to see the fairing and the RC30 tail mod's - sounds nice!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  16. chiefmg

chiefmg New Member

I have a Fox rear shock so can make adjustment there. What I did was to measure the distance from the front of the frame to the ground and used that dimension to adjust the forks. In the rear, I calculated the difference in height with a 17" vs 18" rear wheel by using the linkage ratio and changed the shock length accordingly. Don't ask me what the number was, it was too long ago (3/4" runs in my memory, I do have a journal of my work somewhere but it isn't easily accessible)! I ended up actually dropping the rear some as I ended up with it too high.

I was aware of possible clearance problems with the front wheel and radiator, I made sure to apply the brakes and bottom out the fork. It is close but there is still room to spare. I have to say it was an awesome mod, the first time I took it on the track I did the first few laps easy to break everything in. The next lap I went into turn one, braked about where I would have with the 500 brakes, and nearly stopped dead.

The bike is kind of buried in the garage at present, I can rescan my avatar picture and post it in a larger resolution. I think it looks pretty good with the different body, I just have to figure out what to use for a headlight now that I am going to put it on the street.

17. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    MUST KNOW MORE. I was under the impression that this mod was not possible. Please dig that bike out and give us some pics!

18. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    hi res

Look forward to seeing the photo!

19. chiefmg

chiefmg New Member

What's it worth to you guys? LOL! I'll see what I can do, today was a busy day with a root canal, two ceiling fan install and mounting my new LCD TV on the wall. I'll have to see where the old photo is, either on my old laptop or my external HD. I'll get it posted up soon. Don't want anyone to bust a gut waiting...

20. chiefmg

chiefmg New Member

Okay, I apologize for the poor picture but it is a scan of a Polaroid. I'll try to get something digital posted in a few days when I have time to move stuff around in the garage.

Attached Files: