VF700F Broke down :(

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Jimbob, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

So, over the last 4 years I have stripped and rebuilt my VF. With lockdown I finally pulled my finger out and finished the bike (except painting the fairings) and had it all made road legal.

I've been pottering around on it, not going much faster than about 50mph. Tuesday I was out and about (probably ridden about 15 miles) and she simply cut out, I tried to restart but after a few cranks all the power has gone. The bike had a new battery about 6 months ago and I keep an Oxford battery safe on it (Which monitors health and gives it a low voltage trickle charge). I turned it off, left in 10mins and it almost fired back into life – but no.

Bugger! So I use my breakdown cover and call the recovery guys (90 min wait). After about 20 mins I though I’d try my luck, low and behold she fires straight up and purrs like a kitten!? I chuck my helmet on, and slowly start to pootle home (only about 8 miles), Rhonda the Honda is not impressed! The bike is running really bad, rpms on idle have shot up to 5000 and the bike has zero performance (struggling to get up slight hills), after a few miles it gets better and calms down. About 5 miles in the idle is now almost 6k and I’m having to slip the clutch and roll the brake just to try and get her home, I don’t want to stop as it’ll probably never start again. I’m riding along trying to wind the idle screw out but its not making any difference.

Finally, I make it home and kill the engine quick, she’s super-hot and really not very happy with me (typical woman). I know I should have probably not attempted to get her home but was not expecting this kind of gremlin. When I got home, I chucked a multi meter on the battery 12.8V off and 13.6v when running – so its charging (not a great deal but its charging)

So, what’s causing the stupid idle rpm? Why is there fluctuating performance? Why did she just die on me although the battery is good?

Answers on a postcard please ☹

2. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

United Kingdom
  3. Boomtank2

Boomtank2 New Member

United States
    My first concernes on this would be the age of the battery, charging system, and a wiring short. Batteries can go at any time, trust me I know.

How old is the battery? If you have a spare try hooking it up temporarily. Is the RR OEM?

First check the stator for shorts and AC volts output. Then check the RR itself for DC output. Refer to the manual for this procedure.

Giving the DC voltage output you stated, I would almost bet it's a bad RR. Good luck and hope this helps.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    inspect the 3-yellow wire connection between stator and r/r, and inspect the red plug's underside on top of the starter solenoid for melting or burning.