VFR 2005 800A, ABS light code 4, all diagnostics check out

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by OutOfCyan, Apr 20, 2019.

1. OutOfCyan

OutOfCyan New Member

United States
    Map
    My ABS light has been blinking (after starting the bike) for many months now. I finally took the time today to run the diagnostics. All of the continuity checks for the wires and modulator check out. The shop manual says the next thing I should do is take the bike to the dealer and have them test it out with a known good ABS control unit.

Is this a common failure? Should I leave the left side fairing and fuse box apart and take it in for a test or just buy the replacement part? It's $250-300 on Ebay or $500+ on Ron Ayers for this part.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm

Before heading to Honda I would be tempted to try and isolate the issue.

You state the ABS light is flashing (after starting the bike). But what do you mean?

Normally when you first turn the ignition to the "ignition on" position (but without starting the engine) the gauges should wake up and the ABS light should be displayed constantly(so not Flashing). Is that happening? Once the bike is moving does the ABS light go out or does it start flashing immediately you turn the ignition on? In which case you need to follow the manual instructions to read the stored ABS fault code(s).

Normally the steady ABS light should extinguish once the speed exceeds 6mph - does that happen?

If the ABS only switches to flashing mode after the VFR is moving, can you check to see if that change is triggered by the application of only the rear brake or the front brake or both? Depending on the response to that question you may know where to focus your attention.

Thinking back to when you first observed the flashing ABS light (many months ago) did you have any work done on the VFR - new tyres fitted - or was it dropped?

If so I would take a very close look at the front and rear ABS sensor rings and also the sensors for any wear marks especially scoring - also check the sensors are securely in place - they can sustain damage if a wheel is installed roughly and indeed one or both mounting bolts may sheer off, and likewise the ABS sensor cabling may sustain damage - so it is also worth careful inspection.

Another easy thing to check is the brake fluid reservoir levels, tyre pressures and that none of the ABS fuses are not blown! (However I assume you have already covered those items as part of your diagnostics.)

Also did you check that the rear brake is fully returning to the off position (against the stop)? The brake pedal is exposed to road debris and if gunk builds up it can result in the brake being lightly applied all the time which will upset the ABS. Indeed as it is a few seconds work to clean the pedal and its linkage it might be worth giving it a decent clean just to rule that out, as it should be obvious if that clears the problem.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. gordyp

gordyp New Member

United Kingdom
    I had a similar intermittent issue. On refurbish the brakes I discovered that the abs sensor on the front caller had a load of crud on it, good clean and all is well - literally a ten minute job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I have a spare computer and ABS pump if you want them.....cheap..... Just shoot me a PM!

5. OutOfCyan

OutOfCyan New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry about the slow response, I just got back from vacation today (I was gone since 4/21).

After resetting the code, it immediately comes up with the same code again. It appears to be a sanity check or self-diagnostic problem and not something activating.

I start the bike, ride it a few feet, and instead of the light going out it starts blinking. I ran the diagnostic in the shop manual and it gave me code 4.

The light does not go out, ever. The brakes don't need to be applied for the light to start flashing.

No new work. Bike wasn't dropped.

Fuses aren't blown. I'm due for changing the brake fluid and will do so soon.

I checked this today. This isn't the problem.

The code for this sensor is different from the code I'm getting.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You went through the troubleshooting process, but didn't follow through on the last thing recommended, taking it to the dealer to see if the ABS control unit is the issue?

7. OutOfCyan

OutOfCyan New Member

United States
    Map
    Correct, this is literally what I said in the first post.

EDIT: This dude is a troll, I blocked him.

I'm going to try Jethro's module and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'll continue trying some other stuff. It's easier to try a working module than it is to take the bike to the dealer.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Now for the $10,000 question.....