VFR 800 VTEC Coolant Change Interval

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by 25thVFR800, Nov 22, 2017.

1. 25thVFR800

25thVFR800 New Member

Canada
    Map
    The VFR manual says to change out coolant at 38,400km or 24,000 miles.
    My 2007 VFR RWB that I bought this year with 11,000 miles has not had the coolant replaced from what I know from the previous owner.
    My plans are to change it out at the beginning of the 2018 riding season although the bike has no
    overheating issues and fans come on when needed.

How often is everyone changing out the coolant on their VFRs.
    Why does Honda have such a long interval.
    On my cars I never change my coolant before what the manufacturer states which is nowadays
    around 60, ooo miles.

Thxs.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    These bikes use such a small amount of coolant that I plan to change mine every other year at the least.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Although in practice, I do not follow this advice, but I agree with it for sure. And depending how much you ride, (for me it is year round on the mild, but very wet west coast) for what it costs, there is no reason I should not do this every spring. I did some research on disposal of OEM coolant when I was trying to find a place to dispose of mine. I discovered that the OEM 50/50 coolant can be safely dumped down any municipal treatment drains. It can be as safely treated and returned to the environment as most anything else you flush down the drain.

What I also learned is that the coolant you buy from Honda for their cars, is the exact same stuff as that which is sold under the motorcycle line Just a different name and cheaper than the motorcycle stuff.

4. gregrunt

gregrunt New Member

United States
    I agree with this. Coolant is so cheap, anyways, that you might as well do it with this frequency if you're not already reaching the manufacturer's suggested change intervals. Rather change it more frequently and flush the system out, than have some sort of gunk accumulating in there over time.

5. Jakeoster

Jakeoster New Member

United States
    Thanks a lot for the insight. I’m going to be doing a complete fluid service and now I can save a little bit on coolant and just pick it up from the local Honda auto dealer:Tea:

6. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Did someone mention coolant change? (Inside joke amongst friends of mine)

Change it every 2 years or 24k miles. Coolant eventually becomes acidic so it should be changed. I would change it along with the brake/clutch fluid.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I know what you're talking about! :Laugh:

I just flushed/filled my 5 Gen as the water pump gave up recently, so had to replace that. While I was at it, I also replaced the thermostat and hoses. I use Engine Ice and I believe they call for once a year replacement. By coincidence, It was actually just a month past a year so it kind of worked out. Ideally, if riding in average conditions, it's 2 years or 24k miles and I'm sure I can stretch Engine Ice that long too but I might be wrong about that (we'll see).

I also run Engine Ice in my 6 Gen but I'm a little more than 3 months past due if I follow the 1 year rule. I have a few items I want to address on my 6 Gen so, coolant flush/fill will be part of what I do when I get that done. Since it will require fairing removal for the other stuff, might as well do it all at once. Now that I think abut it, wonder where my brake pad wear is...???