VFR is a dog-whistle or something?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VFRVogt, Aug 31, 2015.

1. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Fact; dogs chase cars and motorcycles. Whenever I am riding through a neighborhood and I see someone ahead of me walking their dog, I visually lock onto that dog till I pass. It’s a safety thing for me and the dog. I watch for any signs of it lunging free and because I never trust the owner to be holding tight onto that leash.

I’ve ridden several kinds of bikes over the years and having developed this habit, there is this one thing I’ve noticed about my VFR. These dogs, they are acting really weird now. On any other bike, they’ll just give a look and go back to sniffing the sidewalk, that or they make a play for me. Typical stuff, right?

But now, on the VFR, they don’t do either. I swear, all the dogs, whatever they’re doing, they literally stop and give me this “hateful-like hunting stare,” all the while tracking me as I glide by. Is my VFR a dog-whistle or something or what!?!

Is it maybe the Staintuned exhaust note, or is it possibly the whir of the gear pack turning the valves? Has anyone else noticed this sort of dog pack behavior? Seriously, it’s impossible now to get a read on what they are going to do!

And yeah, I know I’m setting myself up for all kinds of crap here by posting this, but I am serious. Well kinda, because it is funny to watch ‘em. And no, I’m not paranoid either, I like dogs and don’t want to hit one nor wreck my VFR.

P.S. The only breed that has ever come out of this trance and attacked was a leashed pair of mean little German Dachshund wiener dogs. Little bastards, they’re brave as hell and I love ‘em for it.

images.jpeg

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I could understand on a gear driven cam ... the whine it produces might be partly in the same range as a dog whistle.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Dogs ignore my '14! Pass them all the time.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You mistake their stare, they actually wishing they had thumbs so they could ride a V4.

5. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    The '14 has cam chains, doesn't it? Supports the gear noise theory.

Could be the "angry growl" from the Staintune, Supertrapp, TwoBrothers, etc can. Sorry, couldn't help it... :dog: .

Cheers,
    Glenn

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Yup, it is pretty quiet.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have noticed that animals react to my 86 more than any of my other motorcycles. Like do not like it at all, react.

8. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn it! Thumbs! Question asked and answered. Of course the owner walking beside them is clueless to this primitive "I see you m-f'er" exchange thats going on...

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Dogs inherently dislike bicycles, skateboards, garbage trucks, postal vehicles, and motorcycles... along with some other things that I won't mention....