VFR1200 - Non haters thread

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by John451, Oct 17, 2009.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Probably the shortest thread on VFRWorld but spinning off from a comment on the VFR1200 accessory discussion thought I'd start a VFR1200 Non haters thread.

Personally I rate myself in the " Guardedly optimistic " camp with my main doubts on price (more my ability to afford it) and range, the country road economy would need to be good with that smaller tank size. The extra weight over my Gen 5 wont bother me if you don't notice it which the Honda test rider in bottom MCM News extract seems to be suggesting.

Comment " I like it " from the VFR1200 accessory thread:

It's a funny thing talking to a few fellow OzVFR riders most seem to have a positive view on the upcoming VFR1200 especially the basic version without auto, think it may be related to our rubbish surfaced long distance back roads required to get to the best twisties then an ability to shame a few Supersports bikes when we get there, ie the type of riding our existing VFRs excell at and what we love about them. :cool:

If the new VFR can get us there in even better comfort, cruise a little easier loaded with luggage yet lose none of that brilliant v4 character with inherent Sports bike handling after arriving then this may well be the perfect motorcycle, yet again. :smile:

Confirmed for Australia first quarter 2010

We will see them in Australia next year, I received below email from Honda customer relations telling me it unfortunately wont make the Philip Island Moto GP this weekend but should be released here first quarter 2010.

" Hi John,

Thanks for your keen interest in the Honda VFR1200. We are also very excited about the new flagship Honda motorcycle..

We would love to be able to display this new machine at the Phillip Island MotoGP this coming weekend, however the official unveiling was only last week, and as such we are yet to receive any promotional units.

We hope to release the unit in the first quarter of 2010.

Kind regards,
    Steve Hona
    Customer Relations Department
    Honda Australia MPE Pty Ltd "

On heaviness from MCNs latest news story

" Honda test rider Dave Hancock is adamant the new VFR1200F is so good it will change the world of bikes for the next decade.

Hancock has been a Honda test rider for the past 20 years and had played a key role in developing bikes like the Super Blackbird, Fireblade, CBR600RR and now the VFR1200F. He believes the VFR1200 is going to have the same effect on bikes in terms of shaking up the opposition as the Fireblade did in 1992 when it was launched.

The biggest effect the Blade had in 1992 was that it forced rivals to react by redefining what a sportsbike should be. Hancock says the VFR will do the same for the sports tourer segment. "

Hancock said: "People may think this is a big bike but I can tell you that feeling disappears once you are sat on it and moving; it just feels like it shrinks around you. Just starting the bike gives you an idea of the character of the engine.

"It really bursts into life and this was one thing I tried to make sure the engineers kept because that element of the bike was great."

"The V4 is going to take motorcycles forward for the next 10 years. It will still feel like a sportsbike but without the feeling of needing to work at it."

[​IMG]

Linky:
    VFR1200F test rider speaks - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

2. jcoplen

jcoplen New Member

Im in i love it the honda busa slayer

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Don't forget me Johnny....I'm not hatin'

4. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

I am concerned with price most of all. If they make it an $18,000 bike like I have heard there is little chance I will ever get one. I like the standard abs, big V4 engine, slipper clutch, and even shaft drive if done right. I could even be on board with the new auto tranny. Weight and small tank? Well no bike is perfect. Not sad to see the Vtech go either although I never felt it was nearly as bad as some.

5. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    My first concern is the price; it may knock me out of the market. Secondly, to me it looks a bit too glitzy, kind of Ken & Barbie plastic, and not "serious" looking. But I've only seen pictures, and want to see it up close and personal. I really want this 1200 to be the next bike for me. We'll see!

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I have to say I'm curious to see how the ride reports are. I mean, I know it's heavy and not quite a SPORT bike but I'll get a CBR1000RR for that kind of duty.

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I SOOO want to "love" it and am sad that I'm not instantly loving it. I don't care about ride reports because if I instantly loved it I wouldn't listen to them and would have to find out myself anyway. I love all the gadgets and techo whiz bangs along with the shaft drive etc but I need to get use to the new mass centralization and the styling that it brings.

The voices in my head are saying I don't wanna love it cause I don't wanna get (can't afford) another new bike. I also think that it caters to the "touring" side of me more than the 6th gen does. :frown:

I don't hate it though...

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I want one too, Not sure if I can handle it. The gas tank is a little small 4.8 Gallon will not work for me. I have to fill her up Almost everyday. Also the exhaust must go.......Other then that the bike is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :)

9. tman

tman New Member

i want one for sure but maybe after they been out for a year or two so they can get all the bugs worked out

10. MrDen

MrDen New Member

I feel that it's a logical progression for Honda, and look forward to seeing it "in the flesh." The h8trs are just upset that Honda didn't build exactly what they feel the bike should have been. Like that will EVER happen. This is the real world, folks. Deal with it.:eek::biggrin:

11. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    well John, i have a test ride booked and have reserved my opinion until i get 'bum on seat time'...:biggrin:

Like Jason, i have to say that i was not instantly in love with it, however i was also the same when i saw the new snub nose blade, and now im ok with it.

going way back i really didnt care for the underseat pipes on the 916 when they first appeared, i remeber thinking it was a bimota rip off, but over the course of time it has become an iconic bike and now i have a 6th Gen with...underseat pipes and they look cool..:rolleyes:

i hope the reviewer is right, and that this bike will be a leap forward much like the 916 was for ducati...we shall see.

I will be interested to see if it arrives here in Jan2010 as i was told by my dealer????

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    LOL kinda make ya wonder what the Yanks are yankin when not a one has seen, heard or taken a ride on this new bike.

Maybe finally someone in the know can tell me how much the fuzzy logic rice cooker and the cute little plasma teevee is gonna cost and how soon we can see a chopper version.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good thread, I too fall in the same category here with I'm sorta wanting to like it, I don't hate it, after I get over the disappointment with some tid bits (suspension) as I'm very curious in how it works as a whole, no doubt it's more tour but??? I need to see it in person, sit on it, take it for a spin.. But man hope they can bring another color over here. I'd like it to sing to me But cautiously optimistic, I'm wondering if you'll even be able to hear it? I know Honda, and there's no gear drive. Yea yea yea they say it's something to hear, I hope it's more than a hum, as I'm still on guard with the looks, but like Richard it may grow on me like the CBR1000 has.

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Nice to see I'm not the " lone ranger " in liking it around here. :smile:

When it comes to liking the VFR1200, the proof as Richard and RVFR indicate will be revealed up close and personal with a test ride, my suspicion is in normal Honda fashion it will competently do what it says on the side of the Tin can in fulfilling both our " real world " Sports and Touring needs and with obligatory aftermarket end can installed full of our beloved v4 character.

15. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I like the way it looks and I like the specs - except for the small gas tank. I don't like first year production vehicles and my current stable of a VFR and an FJR will likely mean I can wait a year. But I do like this bike.

Ron

16. park800

park800 New Member

Map

+1:biggrin:

17. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
  18. Knife

Knife Member

United States
  19. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nobody knows the cost or where it will come in. This report gives a different look at the price. Honda will want to get this bike out there and selling so they might surprise us all.

Exclusive Road Test: 2010 Honda VFR1200

20. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

After reading the road test, um, I'm thinking Beemer... Sorry