vfr400 i need help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by XZasCC, Dec 19, 2014.

1. XZasCC

XZasCC New Member

Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    hi guys, i need help lol,
    ok ill start from the middle somewhere
    i have a vfr400 nc21 and it was running fine, then it ran out of fuel, so i filled it back up but it doesnt run anymore, every now and then it will fire and run but then the next day wont start at all, ive had the carbs off and they were filthy, the jets were clogged and whatnot, after putting it back on, it ran, but the next day stopped again, ive had the plugs out and they are filthy and i mean BLAAACK, does anyone have any idea what this is?

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    You need a complete flush and clean out the carbs
    Replace all the fluids and plugs would be your first task.
    The bike will run better if she is healthy :thumb:

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

First, replace the plugs, don't clean them and put them back in, start with new plugs. Black plugs mean too rich of an air/fuel mixture, typically opposite of what you'd get from clogged jets though.

Next check the gas tank and fuel filter, clean and/or replace as necessary. Depending on how well the carbs were cleaned and synced, you may want to clean and sync them again just to be sure. Once you know that everything is back up to snuff, see if she'll start and run. If not double check all of the spark leads are good and maybe test the coils.

Not sure if the VFR400 uses a gravity feed fuel system but considering you ran the bike dry, also check to see if the fuel pump is still any good, if it has one. Could be you got sediment from the bottom of the tank into the fuel system and that is was what is caused/causing your problem.

It has been quite a while since I've dealt with carb issues but this where I'd start, I'm sure more experiend members will chime in shortly.

4. XZasCC

XZasCC New Member

Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    thanks guys, ive cleaned the carb and unclogged the jets with some guitar string, i reset the floats to the factory recommended height and have cleaned out the float needle and hole it goes in, i took off the slides and there was quite a bit of slude on the needle, after cleaning them they slide in and out freely, i also synced the throttle valves, so i think the carb is sweet now.
    ill try it tomorrow with some new plugs as its too dark now haha
    heres some pictures of the carb and air filter, because the filter is filthy
    2014-12-19 17.13.42.jpg 2014-12-19 17.14.00.jpg 2014-12-19 17.14.37.jpg

5. Pire

Pire New Member

hello guys, i'm new to this forum but i really need some help right now. I recently bought a vfr nc21 being told that it had nothing wrong besides some dirty carbs, i've cleaned them out now and i've just found out that i'm leaking fuel into my oil. i've already changed the petcock diaphragms and had the float needles checked and float height adjusted to 6.8mm and now to make things worst i've found out i'm down two cylinders(both right cylinders). I'm now out of ideas and slowly giving up so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Also could anyone tell me where the mixture screws are because i've looked everywhere and cannot find them