VFR500 info

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 700r4, Jul 4, 2006.

1. 700r4

700r4 New Member

Mine is a 1992 (VFR750F) black one.

But i was looking for a first bike for my wife, and wondering if anyone have comments about the smallest vfr500 (1984) ? I have one in sight, it looks well preserved, but i'm concern with the cam problem wich was a problematic in first generations'750...

thanks, Denis (French speaking)

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Denis and welcome to the group. I like the 84 VF500's and I think I remember hearing they did not have the problem of the larger Interceptors. Someone else here may have better knowledge of them than I do. I have a 93 VFR750 myself. You might try a search of the forums or even a google search and see what comes up.

dejapong has a vf500. You also might private message him and see if he knows.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sposed to go look at an 84 vf500 today also, and I was thinking of getting it as a first bike for my fiancee and my son to learn to ride on. it needs some work, though so I'll have to see just how bad it is.

4. dejapong

dejapong New Member

Yeah, I have an 86 Vf500f..

Ive only seen them in 84-86 and the engines were modified quite a bit during those years.

The 84 and 85s weren't too bad on cams from what I understand, but there was a oil mod kit distributed later to feed more oil up to the cams. Most bikes still running now would probably have that kit installed. Just look for external oil lines to the cylinder heads. These years also have a fuel pump and a bigger gas tank. They had 32mm carbs and are a bit peppier than the 86. Driven correctly, it seems like they were fine on cams.

The 86 has softer cams and 30mm carbs. They did away with the fuel pump and are just gravity fed. They had oil lines in the head and around the outside and Ive never heard about any cam problems.

All in all, its a neat little bike. I weigh around 160lbs and Im about 5'7". It fits me really nicely and its pretty adequate as far as power is concerned. Its a nice handling bike and really a smooth ride. For a beginner bike I think its really good, not too much power but plenty of room to grow.

Ive been having carb problems in mine but Im about to switch out my 86 carbs for a set of 84 carbs. Yahoo groups has a really good group on the vf500f.. just search for that.

I hope that helps but maybe you've already bought the bike.. this message is kinda old.
    cheers,
    Dejapong

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I did buy the bike but thanks for the info. I have posted lots of pics of it already. I have had it running a little today, but it still has a long way to go before I'll think it's streetworthy. I really think it;s a sharp little bike, though, and for $300 I couldn't really pass it up.