VFR700/750..Comfort ideas for a Tall Rider

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by dutchwurx, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    Needing some ideas everyone..Im looking for ways to make my VFR700 a more comfy ride. Im 6'2 250lbs (stout,thick build) with long legs and since im pushing 50, im just not as flexible as i used to be. On the marathon riding days the legs get pretty tired from being cramped up all day. Im looking for some ways to increase my ride height to take some pressure off my legs. Im sure im not the only person with height that loves a bike made for someone with a smaller frame than mine. Any ideas? Anything you have done to give yourself a more comfy riding position? As always thanks for all the help...

2. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Dutch, it seems there are limited options for us "older, taller and less flexible than we used to be" guys. One option is to lower your footpegs to allow a little more legroom. There are a couple of options out there, one is to use pegs from the Buell Ulysses, which I understand bolt right on certain model years and are lower than stock. I don't know if they would fit an '84. Another option is to use the peg lowering blocks that are made by a guy named Larry who runs a small business called Busy Little Shop. He is a member here as well as over at VFRD Home and you can see his work here: Peg Lowering Blocks - VFR Discussion
    I put these on my 2000 VFR this past weekend and they do lower the pegs about an inch and a half; you have to adjust your shifter and brake controls to your liking after lowering the pegs. Very simple operation, took less than an hour including quick test ride. The peg lowering blocks are about $90 delivered, and he does nice work.
    The other option if to raise your handlebars to allow for a more upright seating position. There are risers out there made by Genmar and Helibar, there are also 'conversion kits' that adapt the stock clip-on configuration to allow for mounting of conventional handlebars. The search function is your friend and many of the build threads have lots of pictures so you can see how the modded bars look.
    I'm leaning towards the Helibars, I'm just not sold on spending $279 to raise my handlebars about an inch and a half. Maybe some who have them can chime in and let us know how comfortable they are.
    BTW - I'm 6'2" and about 220 lb, 56 years old.
    The stock seat can be replaced or rebuilt to raise or lower your seating position. That can be a two edged sword - if you raise the seat to give you more legroom you will have to lean forward more to reach the bars, and if you lower the seat you will sit more upright but at the expense of a little less legroom. My advice would be to do pegs first, then bars, and the seat would be a last resort for 'fine tuning' if necessary.
    Maybe some of the others that have lowered their pegs and/or raised bars could comment on how effective it is - please include height/weight and age as a reference!
    Good luck and enjoy this early Spring weather!

Bob

3. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    Thanks Bob for the great info. I hadnt come across anything about the Peg Blocks in my search..I sent an email seeing if they will work on an 86 vfr. Ive considered the seat alteration..you can ship your seat to Sargent and they will refoam it and cover it..but point well made with it causing you to lean more forward. Ive looked into the LSL/Spiegler Superbike Handlebars..I would love for someone who has actually used them to chime in with some info..they do look promising but they are pricey. Ive also looked into the Raask Rear Sets but again pricey and I have no knowledge at all about Rear Sets so dont really know what effect I would get from them..maybe someone can chime in on Rear Sets.

4. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Couple of possibilities. I'm only 6' and 62; but I can understand the problem(s).

I have GenMar risers on my '86 VFR, and they do raise the bars about 1" (perhaps slightly less). I have a complete, brand new LSL bar conversion kit and I might be convinced to give you a deal on the kit with the 'superbike' bar that came with it. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work a deal.

As far as the peg lowering blocks, I didn't see any mention in the 'BLS' thread on VFRD about gen 2 bikes; but I also sent him a message. Maybe we can gang up on the poor guy and get him to do a kit for our older bikes... :cool:

5. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

since you'ev missed the obvious, get a larger bike! :biggrin:

seriously though, im 6'2 and about 230lbs myself and even the vfr800 6th gen leaves me stiff (and not the good way)
    I found a higher seat and lower pegs helps, though its not like theres a lot of room to go down on these things. I have broken yet another peg slider!
    Helibars have been said to help too, but I havent tried them yet. I have moved to the pillion seat just to stretch out though, If your not comfortable with your bike and skills please dont try this as it reduces you ability to compensate and control.

6. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    the best advice i can give ya is do NOT get a solo seat tail section. with me only being 5'8", its not bad, but the seat height is noticeably lower with this racing plastic on the back of the bike. i cant imagine somebody over 6' tall being comfortable on it now.