VFR8 Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by ca315, Dec 23, 2020.

1. ca315

ca315 New Member

Australia
    For those of you who like the VFR sound. This is a Gen5 at Phillip Island at a recent f track day, been 9 months since I've ridden a bike, first session was wet, so wobble around in this dry session for the first few laps scrubbing in new tyres, missing a few gear changes and getting the brain into gear.

Put a microphone under the rear cowl and hooked up to a GoPro Hero 6 to capture the sound. It isn't as simple as you might think, the sound is so loud that it distorts, I chose this mic as it has an 140dB SPL, even then I had to wrap a few rags round it. I think I can improve on the sound recording, good excuse to go back and try again.

Bike is a Gen 5, Staintune exhaust, power commander, Wilbers suspension, Metzeler M9s, Galfer braided lines, Brembo disks and pads, otherwise standard. Yes I know it needs a quick shifter, it's on the list.

Got down to 2:08.74 in this session, got down to 2:06.24 later, and then the last session was cancelled due to a crash, my mate, battered but he will be OK. Go faster? Probably, but the bike is 21 years old and I'm 66, so not out to scratch either.

Anyway, enjoy.

Slightly quicker lap here:

2. Cyberob

Cyberob New Member

Netherlands
    Nice videos Carl. What software do you use and how do you measure the lean angle?

3. ca315

ca315 New Member

Australia
    All of the data is out of the GoPro. Hero 5 onwards imbed GPS data in the MP4. I used Race Technologies software https://www.race-technology.com/gb/racing/products/video/video_gopro-only . It combines the GoPro files, extracts all of the data, calculates lap times, sector times, lean angle, acceleration and decelleration, etc. and gives you the ability to export the video with the data overlay.

Cyberob likes this.
  4. Cyberob

Cyberob New Member

Netherlands
    I use RaceChrono as software. But reading your reply I realize it must be my older non GPS GoPro Hero 3 which is responsible for not giving any lean angle data.

5. ca315

ca315 New Member

Australia
    Race Technology is the only software I can find that stitches the multiple Hero files together and correctly aligns the GPS data across the files.
    Hero 6 onwards is the one to get. Hero6 has much better image stabilisation that the Hero 5, Hero 7 is even better, they all have GPS. Advantage of Hero 3-7 is they all use the same batteries.

Also note when using the GPS Heros. Turn the Hero on and wait for it to get a GPS fix, needs to be outside, takes about 30 sec, then hit record. If you press record and wake it up at the same time, it will record, but without GPS data.

6. ca315

ca315 New Member

Australia

Another sound track to enjoy. The sound is good, similar to what you hear on the road as the session was wet. I had mic'd up the VFR, but it only worked in the 1st and 3rd session, might have been water from the first session in the connections.

I was on brand new Metzler M9s, first ride in 9 months, so brain rusty and had no idea how much grip I had, most guys in the session had full wets on, so just dawdled around and stayed out of their way, started to get an idea of grip around lap 3. Also mounted the GoPro for a good view of the tacho, but realised as soon as I took off that I couldn't see it, so just rode by the exhaust note. The day did get much better.