VFR800 As Commuter Bike

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by PAFirefighter11, Jan 21, 2011.

1. PAFirefighter11

PAFirefighter11 New Member

Hey all,

So I've used my VFR800 in the past to ride to/from work, but I was only living 8-10 minutes from work. I now live 45-60 mins from work, and wake up at 7:45 instead of 8:30 (earlier/colder). Once March hits I'm looking into commuting as much as possible on the VFR since gas prices here are more than outrageous ($3.50/gal for 93 on average - yes I know it's worse elsewhere... lol). Any recommendations on things I should look into when commuting nearly 2 hours a day on this bike? Thanks all! :)

2. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

nope, I've done it for years w/ no problems.
    You might want to look into tires that will take more milage if you are using a sport compound.
    I also ran reg unleaded (89) due to the cost when running to work and have never had a problem.
    you are gonna burn it up so why pay the extra, save it for the hard rides on the weekend.
    oh keep the chain lubed, best to do as soon as you get home

3. hondarv4

hondarv4 New Member

Dress up in safety gear, weatherproof and good boots! I used to comute 40 min daily for 2 years didn't hurt me! I think?

4. Bonecarver

Bonecarver New Member

I commute 30-45min each way each day in Los Angeles traffic...I use the factory hardcase (center) for my gear and lunch...
    If you don't have too much traffic to deal with I'd recommend audiobooks in the helmet...I just rode from New Orleans to Vancouver down to Los Angeles with bluetooth audiobooks in the lid...best thing ever...but not for traffic...

5. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
  6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    When I had my 5th Gen, I had a 65 minute ride each way to/from work. There's nothing that you need to worry about as far as the bike goes. Just know the route along with where the gas stops should be. With me, you had to keep an eye on it as there were long stretches with nothing - you don't want to run out of gas. Also, always pack rain gear because you can't trust the weather man.

7. naphza

naphza New Member

Definitely a waste to buy high test. 87 octane is fine. Unless you modded the hell out of the engine like boosting compression, cams, etc. there is no need to buy 92/93 octane. Especially since your owner's manual states 87 octane I believe. If you here pinging/knocking, then possibly high test but even then it's doubtful that high test helps. In fact, your bike will run better on reg than high test. Just sayin.

8. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I live 30ish miles from the office. I ride whenever temps are above freezing (avoid ice) and dont need a car.

Not riding right now because of maint.

9. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    My commute takes me 45 minutes each way 5 days a week rain or shine all year round. Traffic varies from small city streets to main hiway to bridge to major metropolitan nightmares; if it wasn't for the VFR I would never go into the city for work. I'd look into a better windscreen than stock if you haven't done so already. Someone mentioned higher mileage tires and a top case or tank bag to keep the bike narrow and agile. Good riding gear is a must especially gear with high visibility and armor.

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    [​IMG]

armor is a must for the commute..so is a halberd

11. SF_Hooligan

SF_Hooligan New Member

Map
    I commute on my '00 most days - probably 80% of the time. Current commute is short - 20 minutes each way, but before that I rode it 110 miles each way, every day. Lots of commuting miles on this bike.

Anyway, in California we can split lanes. So I keep the bike narrow, running just an E52 topcase - no side bags. Definitely run less sporty shoes, or you'll square 'em off. Just got a Stebel, not installed yet. I live in San Francisco, so commute traffic is absolutely hairball - I often run with the high beams on for a bit extra visibility. Some guys run a modulator instead. Get an easy tire plug kit and carry it every day.

Not sure if you can split lanes in PA - no? If not, side bags would be preferable - weight down lower. I don't put much in my topbox most of the time, but like having space if I need to bring something extra home. (lots of daily riders in SF ride with topbox only pretty much all the time) I carry my laptop in my backpack - for some reason, I feel like that's better for the laptop long term, and keeps the weight out of the high-up and back topbox.

5th gen bikes are super solid if they're cared for. Stay on top of your maintenance, stay aware on the roads - commuters (here at least) don't pay much attention to the world around them - and you'll be golden. My only complaint about commuting by bike is that we have one motorbike spot (free parking!) at my office and the birds seems to conspire to shit on my bike all day.

12. PAFirefighter11

Thanks guys :) Temps are starting to slowly warm up. Any recommendation on leg protection? I try not to wear my leather 2 piece suit to/from work. Looking for something quick/easy to throw on and take off, overtop of my pants.

Lane splitting is not legal here in PA either. Any recommendation on tank bags? I want something rather large, but not too expensive. MUST turn into a backpack as I take a lot trips where I need to remove the tank bag.

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have been commuting about 100 miles return trip since August 2006 75% freeway. Since that time have logged over 117.000 km (near 73,000 miles). I have soft bags but use those for trips only. Everything I need for the commute, I carry in a 75 litre back pack. And I wear the leathers regardless of the temps. I wear Under Armour tops and long pants under to make getting out of the leathers easier when I get a little sweaty in the summer.

About the only time I don't ride, is if there is a threat of snow or frost. And I have been caught in that too. Not nice. But I have ridden in temps well below freezing. With the proper gear, it really is not bad. I don't have the heated grips. Tecnik winter gloves serves me quite well. I do have heated jacket liner, pant liner and boot insoles. The jacket liner is used often while the pant and insoles only occasionally. A cheap rain suit does wonders for trapping heat inside your gear.

Dual compound tires are a must. I have had two different sets of Dunlops, (crap) and am on my second set of PR2's which I love. I would be getting a third set of those but I am told Micheline has the next gen or dual compound tires out there now so may get those.

Silver Surfer mentioned the screen. Mine is not original but it is the same dimensions as the original. I guess it really depends on how much your melon sticks up over the screen. Watch for the pooling of water in the tire tracks. Lightning scares the living shit out of me but I had a really bad experience with that a few years back.

I say ride. It is one hell of a lot more fun riding than driving. And yes. During the daytime, bright lights all the way. I have HID's for high beams and can light up the next dimension with them. Hardly use them at night though cause they are just too bright. They reflect back too much on the larger highway signs.

14. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

A friend of mine feels the Olympia gear has been the best he has owned and he has owned a lot of gear. They make mesh, regular, and waterproof/resistant overpants.
    http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.htm
    As far as my friend's qualifications, several coast to coast trips and a ride from Arizona to and around Nova Scotia. No Interstate riding, either. Oh yeah, almost forgot, flew to Australia, rented a BMW and toured the country for several weeks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. brock915

brock915 New Member

United States
    Map
    Lane splitting is not legal here in PA either. Any recommendation on tank bags? I want something rather large, but not too expensive. MUST turn into a backpack as I take a lot trips where I need to remove the tank bag.[/QUOTE]

I purchased the magnetic base version of this Fieldsheer Eiffel II Motorcycle Tank Bag with Strap Base - BikeBandit.com
    Very nice, it is like 3 bags in 1. There are 3 parts that can be zipped together, a little big for my needs, or you can zip any combination of them together or alone. The larger piece turns into a backpack as well. Very nice tank bag.

16. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed. I have run 87 ever since I bought it brand new towards the end of 2008. I've never had an issue, it runs crazy smooth and I've got almost 24K miles on it... never a problem.

17. PAFirefighter11

I have my PC set to run 93+. Should I just reprogram it back to stock then or run 87 with it set to this?

18. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Until this season I was riding year round in NYC and have been commuting to work on my VFR year round (1 hour each way). I would say first invest in a nice backpack, tank bag, medium weight bike cover, net and bungees. Also get some good gloves, boots, disc lock with alarm and heavy kryptonite chain (rubber finger squeeges are good to gave also). The VFR is more than capable of handling the commute (keep a spare R/R under your seat). Check your plastics and tail piece for any loose plastics weekly, I like the stock seat but some people like aftermarket seats, get tires you like that perform in the rain, at the end of winter strip the plastics off the bike and clean the bike and chain. In the winter I use a synthetic chain lube. After the winter also change anti-freeze and oil. Get your brakes done before the winter and have them checked after the winter. I usually keep a bike cover at work so I do not have to carry it everyday. After the winter check suspension for wear and adjustments. During the winter I use Seafoam. be safe and enjoy!!!!!

19. JHG57

JHG57 New Member

On the 2007's the manual states 86 octane or higher, I run regular. I am new to VFR's but not new to commuting since I do not have a car that i get to drive. I have been commuting via motorcycle for many years. Pay attention to your chain and keep it adjusted, clean and lubed. Carry a tire plug kit and a couple 45 gram co2 cartridges for emergency road side repairs. Keep some basic tools on board, probably the manufacturers tool kit and maybe a multi-tool will suffice. Run tires that hold well in the rain as well as dry. Try to wear protective clothing ( I know it isn't for everyone) but I personally would rather sweat than bleed and the cost of protection is far less than the cost of skins grafts.
    -James-

20. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    All I can say is that you're just looking for a problem with that Philly sweater!!

I commute only 20 minutes each way...but rain or shine. I have a Rapid Transit Recon 19 RAPID TRANSIT - Performance Motorcycle Luggage and I really like it.

Go Habs Go!!!