VIR South on the RC51

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by junktionfet, Jul 8, 2009.

1. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

I went to my first trackday and had an unbelievable time. I almost took the VFR because of issues with the RC51, however now I'm glad I didn't. I think the VFR would've made a decent track bike, but the RC51 gave me so much more speed out of the corners and on the straights. Still it's no match for the raw seething power from a modern liter inline-4. They could blow by me as if I was cruising.

There's no bodywork on the bike, and I wish I had kept it on because I really couldn't bring myself to go much over 130mph or so for fear of literally flying off the back of the back. No matter how much I tucked, that wind was still pushing against my body, and I'm a little guy (6' but like 160lbs).

The bike is bone stock except for the Jardine pipes, Pazzo levers, Woodcraft rearsets, and EBC HH pads (which turned my rotors blue). No Power Commander, no emission system removal, etc. I had someone with a lot of track experience adjust the otherwise stock suspension for me, and it was spot-on.

I was using brand new Pilot Power 2CT tires and I wish I hadn't. They started getting really twitchy and slippery towards the end, and when they go out from under you, that's pretty much it--that or they give you a nice wiiiide slide coming out of turn 7 with only moderate throttle. I can see how they would be magnificent tires on the street, but there's no way you can run a track pace consistently on the street, and if you do it means that you're either slower than you think on the track, or you're a reckless maniac on the street. :) At any rate, I think I heat-cycled and v-twin-torque-pounded all the stickyness from the rear 2CT.

Next time I'm going with everyone's recommendation on some DC IIIs, and in fact have some on order right now. I will miss the quick turn-in of the Michelins I think, because the heft of the RC51 really demands it. The dry weight of that bike is what, like 450lbs? Yikes.

I'm a junkie and I've decided to turn the RC51 into a dedicated track bike. I've never liked this bike on the street. Ever since I got it (last June) and the novelty wore off, I've thought the ergos were crap, the suspension was torture, and the gearing was impractically tall.

However on the track, it was a completely different bike. It did everything I asked it to do and I feel that it made me look good despite my newb-ness. She and I really were a team and it made me appreciate Honda's engineering effort when they mass produced this WSB winning monster. The novelty is back!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. supertex

supertex New Member

Except for the ugly-ness of that bike naked, I gotta say you don't look like a newb to me. You had that thing leanin and draggin. My hats off to ya:hi2:

3. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Nice write up and pics. You looked like you were doing pretty good out there. I'd bet with those new tires and some more time under your belt those other liter bikes wont be "blowing by" you.

4. jay956

jay956 New Member

yeah i looked at the pics and had to go back to read that it was your first track day. great job!

btw, how the hell do you keep your boots so clean, i have the same ones and theyre almost gray now.

5. willy

willy New Member

nice form...and that bike looks bad ass with the exposed radiators. of course I may be biased.

if you keep going naked, consider tucking those vents/drains into a catch can. I actually routed mine inside the VFR's frame so nothing could leak out on the track or onto my tires.

6. TAGLICIOUS

TAGLICIOUS New Member

wow.. nice riding and writing.
    I have been getting used to the naked bike look since I got hit...
    Kudos on the 51 railin it like you do...

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I like the naked look!

Glad it was a great time brother!

BZ