Water pooling under the fuel cap

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Diziet-sma, Jun 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Diziet-sma

Diziet-sma New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone. Hope someone may be able to help me with a bit of an issue. Yesterday I found a lot of water under the fuel cap after washing my bike. 1998 VFR800 fi-w. 5th gen. I've previously had to drain the fuel tank as it had water in and the bike stopped running.

There a small hole, (see photo) which I assume is a drain, to take away any overspill, condensation or leaks. Is this right? There was a lot of water where that hole is around the outside of the fuel filler hole so I guess that hole or the pipe is blocked. I'm thinking this caused my previous issue too.

Any idea where the hole and pipe from this runs so I can give it a clean out?

If it's not a drain, should I look at replacing the filler cap as it obviously lets water through the ring into that depression which eventually finds it way into the fuel tank. should there ba gasket or seal around the ring to stop leaks?

Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I am not 100% sure but I think that drain hole is attached to a hose that comes out beneath the faring, one of two or three rubber tubes at the bottom. It is there for those who way overfill their tanks and the excess drains out to the ground. Maybe the rubber tube is missing from that drain which may allow water to get up inside there.

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes there is a drain hose, you'll have to find the bottom end and see it's not blocked... or blow air down it. 5th Gen has drain going along engine, out by clutch cover, round under/behind the rad, exits low on left side. Also a vent hose going on top of rear valve cover, down into frame and down at/near the front of the swingarm. Make sure neither are kinked....
    I replaced both mine with braided reinforced fuel line so they wouldn't kink... FYI, previous owner had kinked vent line and the fuel pump sucked hard enough to cave in the tank. Ouch.
    Drain line is a lesser deal, but you don't want it blocked.

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Get a bit of strimmer line and run it down the overflow tube to clear it. Check also the breather tubes.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    blo air in hole, clear flo

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    upload_2020-6-17_14-7-36.png

The overflow hose connects to the intake around the fuel cap area, on the underside of the tank.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  7. Diziet-sma

Diziet-sma New Member

United Kingdom
    Tried that, nearly gave myself a brain aneurism. It's quite firmly blocked.

8. Diziet-sma

Diziet-sma New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all your replies. Due to all the info you gave me, I managed to figure out the overflow was blocked between the hole in the photo and where the drainage pipe attaches under the fuel tank. A bit of penetrating spray, a homemade plunger and a pipe cleaner got the fluid draining away, albeit slowly. Should be quick enough to stop me getting water in the petrol tank again though.

Thanks for all your help, it's appreciated.