Weight Limit

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by maintman75, Dec 14, 2008.

1. maintman75

maintman75 New Member

What is the weight limit on the suspension when u have the rider and passenger on it??? Thanx

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

For a 6th Gen:

Maximum Weight Capacity = 399 pounds
    (Including rider, passenger, cargo and accessories)

Maximum Cargo weight = 77 pounds

3. Sandalwood

Sandalwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm assuming that includes a full tank of fuel. My girlfriend (135 lbs) plus me (185 lbs) plus the tankbag plus the hard bags plus the gear PLUS about 36 pounds of gas would be getting close...

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The supplied numbers were from the owners manual for a 6th gen. at 546 pounds + 400 pounds......that would put the total weight at around half a ton......

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    :mcrazy:I think it'll handle quite a bit if you put more air in the tires. Hell, I could haul gravel with mine!:mcrazy:

all joking aside, the stock suspension when I had it was notably flat when riding two up with even a little baggage. I ride a 5th gen.

6. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

I noticed...your point? I think the load rating on my tires is only 800 or 900 something lbs. Just saying.

I weigh 345lbs and the VFR handles beautifully as long as you have the correct suspension setup...without that, it's totally dangerous (my friends 88cbr 600f hurricane HATES ME- 340lb maximum on that bike though, with stock suspension). Hope that settles some worries from others about two up riding. I've road two up on it as well. Once you hit 450lbs she's very sluggish (duh!) and I wouldn't recommend spirited riding at all. Make sure your tires have the proper pressure as well!

7. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

I noticed...your point? I think the load rating on my tires is only 800 or 900 something lbs. Just saying.

I weigh 345lbs and the VFR handles beautifully as long as you have the correct suspension setup...without that, it's totally dangerous (my friends 88cbr 600f hurricane HATES ME- 340lb maximum on that bike though, with stock suspension). Hope that settles some worries from others about two up riding. I've road two up on it as well. Once you hit 450lbs she's very sluggish (duh!) and I wouldn't recommend spirited riding at all. Make sure your tires have the proper pressure as well!

8. Mav777

Mav777 New Member

United States
    Map
    Mmmmmm, do I want to lose weight or get a lighter girlfriend..................decisions, decisions..........

9. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Depends, can she cook? lol

10. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

Mine can cook, that's what's causing the problem!

11. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Got married and combined we gained 30 pounds...course she;s preggers..that does not help.

12. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

If no one esle says it, I will...

If you load down a VFR with nearly 500lbs, you are a complete idiot.

That is all, carry on.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

James902 likes this.
  13. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Whoa, what's your deal chief? Stuck on manufacturer specs or what? I expect a little bit more respect from everyone on this forum. Poor form.

I said 450. You must be optimistic if that's "nearly 500" lbs.

The first thing that will fail would be the tires given you already upgraded the suspension. The bike(frame etc.) can handle it just fine, the tires on the other hand...depends on the load and task. If I'm just giving someone an intro ride around town the tires will barely get warm, no where near a failure point. Handling you say? Oh that's right, the majority of the weight is my body weight. I think I can handle a 100lb college chick on the back of a motorcycle. We're not talking about loading some luggage with lead weights throwing off the bikes balance here. IF the load is centered, the suspension adequate and the tires at least up to manufacturer specs then you can exceed the "maximum weight limit" safely as long as you don't push the bike. We're not racing through some twisties...more like a stroll in the park. Good God, it's not like a cross country trip or a track day! The specs are there to ensure the bike performs at it's maximum within those ratings. If you're not using the bike to it's maximum potential then there is a little bit of "give" left. If you could theoretically increase the size of the rear tire and front tire without losing the center line then the bike could carry a helluva lot more weight within specs. Or even a different tire design-you'd lose cornering and lean angle but shoot, goldwing tires aren't any bigger, just different type.

14. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

Hmmmm......Where did I leave my flame retardent suit?

15. CHortonFLY

CHortonFLY New Member

Map
    How many of us push the bike to 100% on the street? I have ridden for years with a group of gixxers, r1s, ducks, r6s, and aprillas. They all push 95% on the track, but to have fun on backroads they push much less. Add a girlfriend, even at 100 lb the vfr will take it and keep smiling. Has anyone had a failure due to too much weight?

16. Ragnar Norway

Ragnar Norway New Member

Norway
    Map
    These are the numbers from the norwegian government (certification): VFR800 6th gen
    Maximum total weight (bike, cargo, gas, passenger, driver): 444 kilo (979 lbs)
    Bike Wet (with oil, gas and liquid): 242 kilo (533 lbs)
    Total max weight for driver, passenger and cargo: 202 kilo (445 lbs)
    Max weight for Passenger + Cargo (regardless of driver): 120 kilo (264 lbs)

These numbers comes from Norwegian government which again got the numbers from Honda.. And yes I do know the instruction manual state: max 399 LBS..

Now and then I have been driving my VFR with total cargo weight (2 passengers) in total up to 215 Kilo (473 lbs) .. of course the bike can handle that.. 20 kilo overweight will not kill the bike..and of course engineers use safety margins.. That said: there is a huge difference between driving with 165 kilo (363 lbs) and e.g. 202 kilo (445 lbs). The bike functions much much better (less sluggish) if the driver, passenger and cargo weight is less than 165 kilo (363 lbs). Much more fun, less sloppy and can drive much more active.

My advice for people who have a weight problem: slim down.. Your body will be happy and your bike will love it. :)