Weird scratchy metal/jingly noise

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by okiengr, Jul 8, 2006.

1. okiengr

okiengr New Member

I'm new to riding VFRs and I've only had mine a week now. I've noticed at lower speeds that there is something that sounds like metal rubbing together or something along with a jingly noise that sounds like something is loose which comes and goes. All the noise sounds like it is coming from the front part of the bike and is not very loud. Almost sounds like a dry bearing or something. The noise comes up through the steering/forks area. I've applied the brakes to see if it would make a difference, but still noise. Doesn't make the noise sitting still and reving either. I mostly hear it about 40 mph. When driving, if I let off the throttle and get back into it, the small jolt back forward seems to makes a "tink" noise for a split second. It sounds like when you drop a washer onto another one. Note that these are two different sounds which could be coming from the same source. I am just hoping that it isn't coming from the engine. I've considered it to be the chain but I can't imagine that I would hear the noise from the front instead of from the side or back. It is a possibilty though. The bike is a '98 with 7600 miles. I hope that's enough description for you guys to analyze the problem. If none of you have ever had this same problem or heard of it, I'm going to get it looked at if it gets worse or bothers me enough.

2. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    don't know about the jingling, but the scratching could be your brakes. Put your bike on its centerstand and rotate the front wheel and see if you can locate the noise.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that's what I thought of when I read the chink noise. Is there a lot of slack in the chain?
    How about the gear driven cam drive? Could that be what you hear? It's a different sound that I have only heard with my VFR. I'm not as knowlegeable about the internal workings as most of the guys around here, but I think that's what it's called.

>I've considered it to be the chain but I can't imagine that I would hear the noise from the front instead of from the side or

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I would think the gear driven cam would not be the source of that since it, at least to me, is more of a whine sound, like a supercharger. I am wondering, since it is "coming up through the steering/forks"are, if it maybe a bearing, steering head or wheel bearing? When leeting of the gas and then getting back on it, that sound could be the chain hitting the swingarm. I would check the tension on it, and tighten it if necessary. Then see if the sound went away. That would be the first thing I'd check since ther is no cost and very littel time involved. Be sure to torque the hub bolt to 40 lbs-ft (thats what it is on mine, check your local listing for the proper torque on your model and year).

5. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Just an checks and balance of my previous post. Make sure the chain is not too tight either and check it in more than one place, meaning after you have checked one spot, roll the bke forward and check another, then do the same oen or two more times. I loosened mychain yesterday because it was tight in one spot more than another and it got rid of a noise in the tranny in first an dsecond, which sounded like clunking. I already have a chain and sprocket ordered from [U]sumofallparts.net[/U] and should have it late next week.

6. kcamkram

kcamkram New Member

Map
    I have a 98 and have also noticed a weird scrathcy metal noise. Mine occurs only when the clutch lever is held at about half way in. Again, the sounds eeems to be coming from the front of the bike, in front of the tanks, in the fork area.

Anyone else had this, know what it might be?

Thanks.

Mark

7. STVJUL

STVJUL New Member

There are small metal clips that hold your brake pads in place, sometimes they start to rattle around and make a tinny-scratching sound. Also if those clips were omitted the last time the pads were changed the pads would definitly be moving around in the calipers. The pads themselves can have wear indicators on them that make that sound to let you know that they are getting low. I would definitely check that area first and if you are satisified then put the bike on the cneterstand and check the wheel bearings by spinning the wheel and also grabbing it from the front and the back and with the steering lock on try and move it from side-to-side. If none of these problems are found re-post please. These are most likely your culprits though. Hope this helps. Steve

8. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I have experienced similar noises on my 86' & I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that it was origanating from the front on the engine. But what I've found is it goes away after the chain is lubed or lubed & adjusted. It never occured w/ the old chain but has been present since installing new chain & sprockets, went with the slightly less expensive Tsubaki chain I suppose that could be the reason??? I think the origanal front sprocket may have eliminated some of this noise too as it had the cages w/ orings on each side to dampen it some.

9. warchild

warchild New Member

Map
    I Hear It Too

I Have A 1999 Vfr And From Time To Time I Hear That Little Scratchy Noise Coming From The Front Of My Bike In The Fork Area. I Usually Hear It After Braking When I Have Stopped And The Clutch Lever Is In..

10. bear

bear New Member

Map
    This is the air flapper on the air box. Lift the gas tank, pull the vacuum line off of the valve on the top of the airbox, and plug it. Lower the tank, and see if the noise is not gone.

11. warchild

warchild New Member

Map
    Thanks Bear

Im Going To Try That. It Doesnt Make The Noise Much, But Lets See What Happens..

12. okiengr

okiengr New Member

I have found that most of the noise happens when I'm right in between acceleration and deceleration. In other words when the drivetrain has force working against the motor. When I'm cruising around 40-50 I hear it very easily. I have tried to listen at highway speeds but I think the wind force against the bike keeps the drivetrain in tension so I don't notice it then. At low speeds, 10-30 mph, I can't seem to get it to make the noise. Almost like the drivetrain isn't turning fast enough to make the noise. That triggered me to think that it's the chain or something. I just don't understand how the noise comes from the front. I do think that I have two different noises though. I have pin pointed how the annoying one comes about at least. Now it's just tracking it down. The chain seems fine to me. On the center stand, I can roll the wheel and it doesn't turn very far. Any tighter and the wheel wouldn't turn very freely I don't think. The slack "seems" ok as well. I just want it to go away. Makes it sound like less of a solid bike and it's going to fall apart or something. :confused: