Weird stuff happening: Blown main fuse & headlight & fuel pump, need your help to test something

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by irishrOy, Feb 16, 2019.

1. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    First of all, it's a VFR from 2003 with ABS.
    I think I quickly need to explain what happened today.
    After starting the bike, it shut itself off. Tried to start it again, lights were all normal, it cranked and fired, but the fuel pump did not deliver any fuel.
    I found out I blew the main fuse and one headlight went out. Put in a new fuse, started right up as if nothing happened, fuel pump worked fine.

I have a Volt-meter installed on my bike.
    Idle-Voltage is between 12 and 13.5, When riding at ~5k RPMs it's at a solid 14-15 Volts, no low values or weird jumps happening there.

Have you experienced anything like this? What do you think could have caused the bike to shut off and pop a fuse? (A few days before when riding in cold weather while approaching a stop the bike shut itself off, too, but that happens 1-2x a year during winter-times with a not warmed up engine, I think I just stall it).

Also, I might need your help to calm my mind:
    When testing the high beams when the bike is just just idling, I could hear a very quiet high pitched tone coming from behind the dashboard. Maybe anyone of you could test this for me if this is normal? Just after a ride, maybe stop and activate the high beams and listen.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Condensation tracking?

irishrOy likes this.
  3. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    Good point! By condensation tracking you probably mean humidity got into the electric system and caused this?

I'm living in an area between two rivers and my city's known as one of the foggiest here in Bavaria, so condensation could really be it, yes.

4. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Precisely

You mentioned damp air and that’s what I thought of immediately

Causes all sorts of phantom electrical problems

irishrOy likes this.
  5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have a voltmeter fitted on my 5G, and even on a well charged battery the voltage drops to 12.2V or thereabouts with the ignition switched on, lights on, but not started. Idling it will be in the mid to low 13's, and once over about 2000rpm I see a steady 14.2V. Having said all that, the bike is fitted with a R/R off a Ducati by a previous owner.