Weird

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by RVFR, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, just plain Weird. ok, was out and about today just taking it all in as we are having some super great weather for the next few days. I came across a road side deli food mart type a place and whats ya know there sits in the parking lot a white 06 VFr with the factory hard bags, I say cool, I also notice at this time the pilot coming out of the store, so since he was a VFR owner and local thought I'd introduce myself all went fine, till he ask what bike I rode. I mean I'm sitting on it, it's right in front of him, Doh!!!!! Is it true that 6th gen owners don't have a clue about the history of the bike? or even know what it really is. man that was a blow. Sheessh! I said Mmm it's a VFR, he just goes really? looks like a new model. Thanks, :cool: but man talk about not having a clue whats what. :rolleyes:

2. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

Wow... Either that guy is just plain slow or maybe he is just distracted by the nice weather?

I'm voting for just plain slow. :der::tape::homer:

3. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

I'm not surprised one bit. The VFR club is not immune to posers. We always jump on the cruiser guys for being posers and just wanting to be one of the cool crowd. Today, with some people having disposable money, they want a bike that is fast and looks cool. Their either go with a cruiser or a sport bike. In either case, they don't know nor care about the history of whatever bike they choose. It's all about the present and look at me, look what I'm riding. HD riders get a lot of this negative wrap, unfortunately, the sport bike segment is not immune to this types of riders either.

So, I'm not surprised one bit you met a guy like that. I've met a few myself in my travels. They barely new anything about the bike they were riding themselves. It's a sad commentary but it's the world we live in now. :unsure:

4. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    Well in his defense, I didn't have a clue as to what previous year VFR's looked like when I bought my '06 VFR. I did my research on what I was buying and since it happened to be a 6th Gen I wasn't really concerned with the others. It wasn't till after I had my bike and found this site that I started learning about the other Gens. Now I asume you were riding your '97? I still not sure on the cutoffs for the Gens. Either a 4th or 5th? If it's a 4th or possibly earlier I can understand a new VFR owner not knowing the body style, etc. Now if you were talking about a 5th Gen then I don't know what to say. Would have to agree with VFRShorty on him being a little slow. It's like looking at a 94 Mustang compaired to a 2002 Mustang. You can tell they're both the same model, just diff years. Maybe it was a little weird but a lot is to be said about knowing the whole story.

5. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

I can understand people not researching earlier models of bikes when they are not considering buying one, but really... there is a big "VFR" on the side! I know men are not always the best at paying attention to detail though! :tongue:

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Maybe he just likes riding rather than being a motorcycling enthusiast ?

Its actually a good topic, some like me who since a kid in the mid '70s are bike and car nuts with cupboards full of magazines who still look forward to seeing any and all new and old models then their are others who are still good riders but only care about riding their own bike and not give a tinkas cuss about the newest model and even mildly indifferent even when pulling up at a stop next to a classic model like an immaculate RC30 or RC45. :rolleyes:

Have at least one close Gen 5 VFR riding mate that fits this category when away on tour he has zero interest in talking anything bikes other than the ride itself and given the opportunity would much rather point out the local scenery details with " look at the nice t*ts on that bird " etc. :smile:

7. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Agree with abnviffer on this. Looks like the 6th Gen VFR is the guys first VFR. Same is the case here with me. When I was researching about my 6th Gen, i gathered basic history, and looked back one gen to see improvements, comments and reviews.

Only on this site do I see the various gens and the people that ride them and their stories.

But going forward after your talk with him, if that did not pique his interest enough to go down the history of the VFR, well then yes he could be a poser or slow.

Personally, I think one of the VFRs cool perks is it messes up people all the time. They see it is a sport bike, it is Honda. It is not a CBR, what is it :) All gens no matter what.

Just walked into my favorite mom n pops cycle store today. Among all the GSX, CBR, and a Ducati. In the corner stood a RWB RC30. All the bikes gave a sense of yeah blah seen them ton of times. Not that these bikes are not beautiful, its just that the VFR will always hold your attention for the lil while longer. Trying to figure it out :)

8. abnviffer

abnviffer New Member

Map
    I haven't seen RVFR's bike before nor has I seen every 4th Gen. I'm quite sure not every one has "VFR" on the side of it. Agreed if it does it would be kind of a giveaway as would the single swing arm but still.

9. Mark Somerville

Mark Somerville New Member

If you are very very lucky you may not have had to shop for a bike to find one or three that you love.

And I'm not bragging (on purpose), just defending the lucky, lucky idiots like myself who don't have to know. I'm as poor as dirt but I'm one lucky S.O.B. When it comes time to talk bikes, yes it is all about the ride. This is because I have had very good advice from the superhuman gearheads in my life, for this I am grateful.
    No, I'm not worthy, but the bikes will make a gearhead of me yet: I replaced the engine in my first Honda (PC 800) when it broke, I'm tearing the first engine down and may actually rebuild it (knock wood).
    Totally out of character for me.

To me posers are people who do it for the image, like motorcycle cops who never owned a bike before (that's most of them, as I understand). I think that most people on scooters and mopeds do get it, really.

There is a surfing term for people who love it deeply but mostly aren't ripping it up like a hamster on a wheel and that's "Soul Surfing".

Maybe the guy was a douche. That's maybe 90% of probability since like me he was riding a rocket; I sometimes wonder whether I reek of vinegar since I've heard that you can't smell your own, but some of us came late to the game. It does us good, and the best thing about being ignorant is that you learn something new every day.

{edit: I feel like I ought to link to the superhuman moto clergy in question: MotoJava. The shop is owned by the two mechanics, Paul and Joe, and they have a great rep. Full disclosure: Paul is my brother. I'm just lucky, like I said.}

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  10. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    Could it be that the reputation of the VFR alone convinced him to purchase his bike without much research? That would say a lot about the rep.they have,so it's kind of an insult and a compliment to all VFR owners.

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map

No worries brother

The idea that one must be either incredibly good at doing something or be an obsessed guru on whatever you enjoy doing permeates every hobby and avocation. I agree at times it is off putting, especially for folks that are new to whatever it is they are doing. We all have seen it . Not that there arent the completely clueless out there, because there most assuredly are. We all know those folks too.

Soul surfing is a great way to describe the idea of doing what you like the world be damned.

So you keep riding and FTW

And let me say that anyone that shows the amount of insight that your post shows can not possibly be a douche, for they are known for their inability to assess themselves truthfully in any way....heehheee

12. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Gearheads or Riders or Enthusiast or All Of The Above

I've been a gear head all my life, but it was not un till I got my first street bike, an 83 CB750C 10 years ago, that I really got into the metric bike enthusiast mode. To be honest, before I researched the Viffer, on this very site among others, I almost refused to buy it for her.
    I had re-occurring nitemares of my 1982 magna v45 and its loads of problems before it just decided to cook its wiring harness in the rain one fine fall day. I was so unimpressed with the reliability of that bike I wanted nothing to do with another Honda v-4, EVER! As I was trying one last pointless time to salvage the bike I discovered it was one of the very first early gen 1 magnas and was notoriously problem stricken. So I gave in and bought the gen 3 viffer and never looked back. Now I find myself surfing the net for ANY honda V-4 bikes. Im hooked like a crack addict. If it was a year sooner, I'd own a gen5 and not my FZ1.

Attached Files:

13. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I remember thinking when Honda came out with those old Magnas that there could not possibly be an uglier bike.

I maintained that opinion until this year with the introduction of the DN-01

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

:spam: Elitist :spam:

15. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Ugly Magna?

vfourbear... How could you! The Magna Ugly? Just look at it. it has... well... um... <sigh> OK. Its still ugly. I failed to make it cool. There was no real hope on this build...I suck again!

Attached Files:

16. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Just because they guy didn't know anything about the previous generation of bike doesn't make him slow, stupid or a "poser". some people just like the looks of a bike or how comfortable it is and they ride. Who knows, maybe the fact that he saw an older VFR will spark his interest in learning about the history of the bike. If it does then great; if it doesn't then so what! Not everyone is riding a motorcycle for the same reasons. That's what great about the sport; you can be an individual and do your own thing.
    just be happy that we have another VFR on the road representing the V4! :thumbsup:

17. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know if everybody should know the complete VFR history before buying a 6th gen but with the information that is available today via the internet and knowledgeable friends I research the hell out of almost everything I buy and do, that includes everything from grips, power commanders, suspension, seats, restaurants, DVD players and even insurance to bigger items like TV's, cars and especially motorcycles.

There was a thread in the beginning of the year named http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/20492-o8-vfr-800-linked-brakes.html that just absolutely blew me away, in this particular case the gentleman bought a 2008 VFR and didn't know the bike came with the VTEC & Linked brakes, what I'm saying is in this day and age there's no excuse for ever being in that situation or being ill-informed, ...

18. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

A guy who was a deputy sheriff with me until a few years back retired and is now selling bikes for a local Honda dealer. He is not the typical salesman with me but I have seen him realy manipulate buyers into what he wants to sell that day. Now granted, he does push the VFR but they dont have any in stock and the boss has no plans to get any. the VLX1300 and CBR's sell faster and thats where they make their money. Anybody off the street that is not well informed and just says "I wanna bike" is at the mercy of the dealership. We cant expect them to have a knowledge of the RC30 or the original CB-750four can we? There was an open house there on saterday. a kid in a t-shirt, ball cap and sandels just had a 2 bro's pipe and power comander installed on his new cbr1000rr. it was brand new and had $2k in custom mag wheels on it when it showed up... He stalled it 6 times in the parking lot before he rode off and I stared in morbid glee waiting for the sight of his up comming crash that I did not get to see. Is this the future of the Honda Motorcycle Enthusiast???? If it is, expect more threads like this one.

19. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Alot of good points here. Myself , I didn't know squat about vfr's until 5 years ago , then I starting researching and test riding and BANG! ,I was hooked. My initial choice was a 5th gen but there were none around here that were half decent, then a friend aof mine gets an 02 in his shop and says" hey, you should try the new one out". Well, that did it for me , saved my coins and bought an 03, liked that so much I picked up an 07 RWB yesterday, brand new too. My point is that the majority of my VFR experiences have been 5th and 6th gen, I can recognize others VFR's but damned if I can tell you what year they are, all in time I suppose. in fact I just found an older RWB sitting in a guys carport two blocks from here and apparently it 's been sitting there a while, dunno what year it is but I think I'll just waltz over there and talk to the owner, see if maybe it's for sale, what better way to get experience than rebuilding an older classic??????
    Remember our mantra folks , "One world, one bike".

20. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map

If the bike on the left is what you started with, and the bike on the right is the end result, then you did pretty well I think.

Just look at the original bike, damn, that is uuuuugly

Now the one on the right in your pics actually looks pretty darn good, too bad you werent available back in 82 to help Honda out. You turned it into something decent looking and they would have sold more of them.

Yours kind of reminds me of a V-Max. And it looks about 1000% better than stock.

Remember, we love all our kids, even the ugly ones.

I dont think you suck at all........ heehheeee