What a difference new tires and a chain make!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by JIMLARCH, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Next week I'm riding my 4th Gen. down to the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. The Roadsmarts on the bike needed changing. They had approximately 13 k (kilometres) on them. The front was very badly squared off and below 50 on tight turns it was very difficult to ride. Above 50 you hardly noticed, but the tires were 6 years old and had a hard feel to them.

The chain was not that old, but had a tight spot, considerably tighter than the rest of the chain. The gear change was ok, but a pain coming down the box when stopping. I put Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on the bike and an EK chain.

I jumped on the bike today and did 100 k. Right off the bike felt as if I was riding on a straigh edge. I was so used to wobbling along at low speeds because of the squared off front. Took about 5 k before I got over the straight edge feel. Then I noticed how soft the new tires felt compared to the old ones. They didn't feel the ridges and ruts anymore. They felt grippy, and the bikes suspension felt better.

The gear change was smoother, and there was no low speed lurch, as there had been with the old chain. The bike quite frankly felt like it had had a tune up.

I have been riding for a lot of years and miles, but I never cease to be amazed at how much difference a new chain, or tires, make to a bike. I can't wait to get to the Blue Ridge and zip down to NC.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I noticed the same improvement when I did chain an tires (at different times). Tires and chains degrade over time, change is gradual, then bam, new tires and chain, change is very noticeable.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think chains wear just like tires-the rubber dries up. But I think the most ignored is chains-Bad chains cause all kinds of problems, that's why I can't wait to try this super street DID 520. I am installing it Tuesday. I dumped my old tires as fast as I could.:ranger::vtr2: