What boots are you riding?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Wxduff, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Wxduff

Wxduff New Member

United States
    I'm looking to get a new pair of footwear as it's the only piece of my riding kit not well sorted. I'd been riding the sv with a nice pair of Carolina loggers but these are not stylish, match neither the bike of the rest of my kit, and are hot. Most importantly, the vfr's shift linkage is more compact than the sv and the lack of feel in the boots makes finding the shifter and brake somewhat difficult.

I'm looking for recommendations for riding shoes (short boots or shorter) that flow an abundance of air and feel for the controls. I also have wide feet for my size, so brands that run narrow are out.

Just curious what people are wearing and are happy with.

2. OOTV

OOTV Member

Like with most clothing, you have to find the ones that fit you the best. For me the brand that fits me, dare I say it, like a glove, are TCX. With SIDI boots, they were either too tight or too loose. With all of my TCX boots, the fit is spot on, so I stuck with them. The seem to have a good reputation and for the most part, a great level of protection for the cost.

The other thing you need to consider is protection level. Just because a boot is built for motorcycling doesn't mean it's going to provide you with the best protection. Case in point, race boots typically provide for protecting you for over flexion and extension of your ankle, in more than one direction, however this usually means a stiffer boot, which when walking around is much less comfortable than a touring boot. Both will most likely prevent serious abrasion injuries and stay on during a crash but the race boot will most likely prevent broken ankle. Of course there is no guarantees but the protection level of a race boot is meant for such possibly of injuries but at the expense of off bike comfort.

I actually have three different pairs of full length riding boots, a standard race boot TCX S-Race, a pair of S-Race Air (Perforated) and a pair of TCX S-Speed waterproof. All three are built using their TCS system, which is the fore mentioned ankle protection system but I find that walking around isn't all that bad but they are a bit squeaky at times.

My suggestion is to pick a type of boot you're looking for and then try different brands who make that style of boot. Try on different sizes, not all sizes are created equal and bring a pair of socks that you might typically wear when you try them on. Walk around in them in the store for a few minutes and if available, sit on a bike and see how they feel both off and on the bike.

3. scottbott

scottbott Insider

United Kingdom
    Map
    just bought a couple of weeks ago a pair of Daytona Arrow Sport GTX, seem very comfortable as my left foot gives me a bit of trouble and they open up nice and wide and are of course repairable if sent back to Daytona

4. mikem317

mikem317 New Member

United States
    Sidi Vertigos. I need to resole them soon though as they're pretty worn through but the rest of the boot is doing OK.

5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    All seasons boots - Alpinestars SMX 6

Hot weather - RST ventilated boots, they’re fairly wide too

6. Wxduff

Wxduff New Member

United States
    I ended up settling on the tcx rush wp. I wanted the air but couldn't find them in my size. Such a huge improvement in feel over the loggers. They were a touch too narrow at first but are breaking in nicely.

OOTV likes this.
  7. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I will catch some heat for this, but I'm wearing cowboy boots at the moment.
    Icon, tcx, sidi and others work for me.